A fantastic welcome bonus has just been rolled out on The Platinum Card® from American Express, which should interest lots of people.
Earn up to 225K points with new Amex Platinum offer
With this newly introduced welcome offer, the Amex Platinum Card is offering a total of up to 225K points:
- 75,000 bonus Membership Rewards points after spending $5,000 within the first six months
- 10x Membership Rewards points at U.S. gas stations and U.S. supermarkets; this is valid on the first $15,000 spent in the first six months in the combined categories
Now, let me be clear, I’m by no means suggesting this bonus is worth 225K points. However, to do some basic math based on my valuation of 1.7 cents per Membership Rewards point:
- I value the welcome bonus of 75K points at $1,125
- Earning 10x points per dollar is the equivalent of an incredible 17% return in those categories, which is unheard of
This really is a phenomenal bonus, especially for those who spend a lot at gas stations and supermarkets (or are able to shift more spending into those categories).
Are you eligible for the Amex Platinum bonus?
The Amex Platinum Card welcome bonus is available to those who don’t have or haven’t had this specific card. However, you are potentially eligible for this card if you’ve had any other Amex card before, including the business version.
The good news is that if you are eligible for the Amex Platinum, getting approved might be easier than you’d expect:
- The Amex Platinum Card is a charge card rather than a credit card, meaning it doesn’t count towards the typical American Express credit card limit (see here for the usual Amex credit card restrictions); even if you’re maxed out on Amex credit cards, you’re likely still eligible for this card
- In my experience Amex charge cards are among the easiest to be approved for if you have excellent credit, so even if you’re someone who struggles to be approved for Chase or Citi cards, you may be pleasantly surprised if you try to apply
Redeem your Amex points towards great travel experiences in the future
Why the Amex Platinum is worth it
The Amex Platinum Card is a $550 annual fee (Rates & Fees) card that’s worth getting primarily for the benefits that it offers. Historically this card has been all about travel perks, and has offered benefits like the following:
- A $200 annual Uber credit
- A $200 annual airline fee credit
- A $100 annual Saks credit
- Access to Amex Centurion Lounges, Delta SkyClubs, and Priority Pass lounges
- Hilton Honors Gold and Marriott Bonvoy Gold status
- A Global Entry or TSA Pre-Check credit once every four years
Get Centurion Lounge access with the Amex Platinum
In the past the travel perks of this card have more than offset the annual fee, in my opinion. You might be thinking “well, travel benefits aren’t worth much to me right now.” Fair enough, but Amex is one step ahead of you — the issuer has been doing a great job adding limited time perks to this card.
For example, for the past several months the Amex Platinum has been offering a $40 monthly cell phone and streaming credit valid through the end of the year. To me this is nearly worth face value, and personally I expect we’ll see more limited time perks on this card, since travel won’t be returning to normal anytime soon.
The Amex Platinum is offering a monthly cell phone credit right now
The Amex Platinum Card is offering an incredible new bonus of 75K points upon completing minimum spending, plus up to 10x points at grocery stores and gas stations.
If you don’t yet have the Amex Platinum then I can’t recommend this offer enough. While this has historically been a card that’s all about travel perks, Amex has done a good job with adding temporary perks, and I would expect to see that continue.
Do you plan on taking advantage of this amazing Amex Platinum Card offer?
The following links will direct you to the rates and fees for mentioned American Express Cards. These include: The Platinum Card® from American Express (Rates & Fees).