Both The Platinum Card® from American Express (review) and The Business Platinum Card® from American Express (review) offer a variety of useful perks, and it can almost be tough to keep track of them. Many people don’t realize that the Amex Platinum offers hotel status with two major hotel loyalty programs, so in this post I wanted to go over the details of how that works.
Amex Platinum hotel status benefits
Those with the Amex Platinum receive both Hilton Honors Gold status and Marriott Bonvoy Gold status on an ongoing basis:
- This applies to both the Amex Personal Platinum and Amex Business Platinum
- Even authorized users are entitled to this benefit; keep in mind you can add three authorized users to the personal version of the card for a total of $175 (Rates & Fees), so this is a great way to get three people hotel status for under $60 each, along with plenty of other benefits
- This benefit is available on an ongoing basis, for as long as your card remains open and in good standing; you only have to register once, and the perk will auto-renew year after year
- While you receive the benefits that correspond to the elite status, you don’t receive the corresponding elite qualification; in other words, when you receive status you’re no closer to getting Hilton Honors Diamond status or Marriott Bonvoy Platinum status
Amex Platinum Hilton Honors Gold status
To request your complimentary Amex Platinum Hilton Honors Gold status, simply visit this website and log into your American Express account.
On the next page you’ll be prompted to enter your Hilton Honors number.
Then within 72 hours your account should automatically be updated with Hilton Honors Gold status.
Hilton Honors Gold status benefits
There are lots of perks to Hilton Honors Gold status, though the way I view it, the main perks are the following:
- Complimentary breakfast or hotel credit — within the United States receive a food & beverage credit, and outside the United States receive at least a continental breakfast
- Executive lounge access, subject to availability
- Upgrades to preferred rooms, subject to availability
- Late check-out, subject to availability
- 80% bonus Hilton Honors points
- A fifth night free on award redemptions
The way I see it, the single most valuable perk of Hilton Gold is that you get free breakfast, a food & beverage credit, and/or lounge access, as that’s a perk that will quickly add up. Note that there are several other credit cards offering Hilton Honors Gold status.
Amex Platinum Marriott Bonvoy Gold status
To request your complimentary Amex Platinum Marriott Bonvoy Gold status, simply visit this website and log into your American Express account.
On the next page, you’ll be prompted to enter your Marriott Bonvoy number.
Then within 72 hours, your account should automatically be updated with Marriott Bonvoy Gold status.
Benefits of Marriott Bonvoy Gold status
There are several perks to Marriott Bonvoy Gold status, though the way I view it, the main perks are the following:
- A 25% points bonus on all stays
- An upgrade to an enhanced room, subject to availability
- 2PM late check-out, subject to availability
- Premium in-room internet
- A welcome gift of bonus points
The benefits are fairly limited, but better than nothing if staying at a Marriott. Note that there are several other credit cards offering Marriott Bonvoy Gold status.
Which Amex Platinum hotel status is more valuable?
Personally I think Hilton Honors Gold status is significantly more valuable than Marriott Bonvoy Gold status. Why? Hilton status gets you breakfast, lounge access, or a hotel credit, which I’d consider to be among the most valuable perks of elite status.
That being said, ultimately either status can come in handy, if you find yourself staying at a hotel belonging to either Hilton or Marriott. Some status is better than none.
While there are lots of awesome perks to the Amex Platinum Card, the complimentary hotel status is one benefit that’s often overlooked. Just for having the Amex Platinum you receive Hilton Honors Gold status and Marriott Bonvoy Gold status.
Those perks can add value for cardmembers, particularly the Hilton Honors Gold status, which offers some substantial perks.
If you have the Amex Platinum, have you benefited from the complimentary hotel status?
The following links will direct you to the rates and fees for mentioned American Express Cards. These include: The Platinum Card® from American Express (Rates & Fees).