A couple of weeks ago the American Express® Business Gold Card introduced a phenomenal limited time welcome bonus. I wanted to recap that, given what a great bonus this is.
Amex Business Gold offering 70K points & $300 credit
For a limited time (through April 7, 2021), the Amex Business Gold is offering a special welcome bonus. You can earn:
- 70,000 Membership Rewards points after spending $10,000 within the first three months
- Up to $300 in statement credits — up to $150 back on U.S. advertising in select media, and up to $150 back on U.S. shipping, on eligible purchases within the first three months; there’s no minimum spending amount to take advantage of these credits
This is a really top notch welcome bonus. I value Membership Rewards points at ~1.7 cents each, so to me the 70K points are worth ~$1,190, and that doesn’t even factor in the $300 in statement credits.
As a point of comparison, the Amex Business Gold previously offered a bonus of 35K points with no statement credits.
Redeem Amex points for travel in ANA business class
Why the Amex Business Gold Card is valuable
There are many reasons to consider getting the $295 annual fee (Rates & Fees) Amex Business Gold, the most significant of which is the ability to earn 4x Membership Rewards points in the categories in which you spend the most.
This can change each billing cycle based on your spending patterns, and the potential categories are as follows:
- Airfare purchased directly from airlines
- U.S. purchases for advertising in select media
- U.S. purchases at gas stations
- U.S. purchases at restaurants
- U.S. purchases for shipping
- U.S. computer hardware, software, and cloud computing purchases made directly from select providers
Based on my valuation of points, that’s like earning up to a 6.8% return in these categories.
Earn 4x Amex points on your business dining
Looking for a personal card instead?
If the Amex Business Gold sounds tempting but you’re looking for a personal card instead, there’s good news, as the $250 annual fee (Rates & Fees) American Express® Gold Card was recently refreshed, and is also a particularly attractive card to apply for:
- The card is offering a bonus of 60,000 Membership Rewards points after spending $4,000 within six months
- The card offers 4x points on restaurants and 4x points on U.S. supermarkets (the latter category has a limit of $25,000 of spending per year)
- The card offers additional perks like a monthly dining credit and monthly Uber Cash, which for many will mostly offset the annual fee
I’d argue this is the best personal card for earning Amex Membership Rewards points.
The Amex Gold offers 4x points on dining globally
The Amex Business Gold is offering a limited time bonus that could earn you up to 70K Membership Rewards points and up to $300 in statement credits. If you don’t yet have the card, this is an excellent offer that’s worth considering.
In my experience Amex business cards are fairly easy to be approved for if you have excellent credit, and this card won’t count towards your Amex credit card limit, and also won’t count towards Chase’s 5/24 limit.
Do you plan on picking up the Amex Business Gold with this limited time welcome bonus?
The following links will direct you to the rates and fees for mentioned American Express Cards. These include: American Express® Business Gold Card (Rates & Fees), and American Express® Gold Card (Rates & Fees).