Link: Apply now for the Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card (this is the best publicly available offer for the card, and we appreciate your support if you use our link)
Capital One has been killing it lately on the travel front. Capital One recently improved mileage transfer ratios to most partners to 1:1, and has launched the Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card, which is an incredible new premium credit card that lots of people are applying for.
Those aren’t the only exciting developments, as Capital One has also opened its first airport lounge. With that, we’ve also found out what access requirements will be like for Capital One Lounges going forward. Let’s go over everything we know about Capital One’s new airport lounges.
Why is Capital One opening airport lounges?
Lounge access has become a popular perk for premium credit cards. Historically premium credit cards have offered a Priority Pass membership, offering access to a large collection of lounges. However, some card issuers have taken that to the next level, with credit card branded lounges.
American Express is best known for this, with its network of Centurion Lounges. Chase will also soon be getting into the lounge game, with the introduction of Chase Sapphire Lounges. Capital One is now opening airport lounges as well, coinciding with the card issuer introducing the Capital One Venture X Card.
Which airports are getting Capital One Lounges?
Capital One has confirmed plans to open lounges at three airports, with the first of the three lounges now being open. I’d expect that over time many more airports will get lounges, but below are the basic details of all three Capital One Lounges that have been announced so far.
Capital One Lounge Dallas Fort Worth Airport (DFW)
The Capital One Lounge Dallas Fort Worth Airport (DFW) has opened its doors as of November 4, 2021. The 10,000 square foot lounge is located in Terminal D near Gate 22.
Capital One Lounge Denver Airport (DEN)
The Capital One Lounge Denver Airport (DEN) will open in 2022. The 11,200 square foot lounge will be located in Concourse A on the mezzanine level.
Capital One Lounge Washington Dulles Airport (IAD)
The Capital One Lounge Washington Dulles Airport (IAD) will open in mid-2022. The 9,100 square foot lounge will be located near the security checkpoint (so not near any gates).
What are Capital One Lounges like?
I recently had the chance to check out the Capital One Lounge DFW, and it’s simply phenomenal. Among other things, here’s what you can expect from the Capital One Lounge DFW:
- A grab & go food selection, including sandwiches, salads, fruit, snacks, and more
- A proper in-lounge dining experience, with menus curated by local chefs, and healthy selections made from regionally sourced ingredients
- An excellent drink selection, including local beer, regional wine, craft cocktails, cold brew on tap, and a full espresso bar
- A cycling and yoga room with Peloton bikes and resistance bands
- Shower suites with towels and toiletries
- Relaxation rooms with blankets, eye covers, and earplugs
- Semi-private work areas with outlets at every seat
Who can access Capital One Lounges?
Up until now, one major question has been who can access Capital One Lounges, given that historically Capital One hasn’t had ultra-premium credit cards. Capital One Lounges can be accessed by the following people:
- Capital One Venture X cardmembers can get unlimited access to Capital One Lounges, and can bring two guests with them for free, and can bring additional guests with them for $45 each; keep in mind that authorized users can be added to the card for free, and they get the same lounge access perks
- Capital One Venture and Capital One Spark Miles cardmembers receive two complimentary visits annually, with no complimentary guesting privileges (the passes could be used by the primary cardmember or authorized users, and can also be used for a guest who is present, meaning you could use two passes for you and a guest); additional guests, as well as additional visits, cost $45 each
- Kids under two can enter Capital One Lounges for free
- All others can enter Capital One Lounges for $65 per visit
- Even though Capital One Lounges are operated in partnership with Plaza Premium Group, there’s no access through other credit cards or lounge membership programs
Getting the Capital One Venture X Card for lounge access can be totally worth it. The card has a $395 annual fee, but offers a $300 annual travel credit and 10K bonus anniversary miles every year, so having the card should cost you very little if you’re going about it right. Furthermore, you’ll be able to add four authorized users to the card at no extra cost, and they’ll receive the same lounge access perks.
Are there access restrictions for Capital One Lounges?
Beyond the actual entry requirements for Capital One Lounges, there are a couple of further access restrictions to be aware of:
- You need a boarding pass for a departing flight in order to be able to access Capital One Lounges
- You can only access Capital One Lounges within three hours of a flight’s scheduled departure
This is clearly intended to control crowding, and matches the entry requirements you’ll find for lots of other lounges as well.
What’s my take on Capital One Lounges?
I’m extremely impressed by what Capital One is doing with airport lounges, and it’s especially exciting to see the timing coincide with the introduction of the new Capital One Venture X Card, which many of us will no doubt be applying for. Here are a few initial thoughts:
- Admittedly it’s going to take Capital One a while to build up a network of lounges, so this could be extremely useful for those based out of an airport with a lounge, while it will be less useful for others
- With the Capital One Venture X Card being brand new, we can hope that maybe Capital One Lounges won’t be crowded for a while, since it’ll take Capital One some time to build up a cardmember base
- Capital One is doing something unique here, and is introducing amenities we haven’t seen from other lounges, and I love that; from cold brew and espresso, to grab & go food, to Peloton bikes, Capital One put a lot of thought into these lounges
Capital One is getting into the airport lounge game, which coincides with the introduction of the new Capital One Venture X Card. The Capital One Lounge DFW is now open, and we can expect the lounges at DEN and IAD to open in 2022. These lounges look thoughtfully designed and have some fantastic amenities you won’t find in other lounges, ranging from a grab & go food selection, to cold brew on tap, to a workout room.
I can’t wait to check out a Capital One Lounge myself sometime soon.
What do you make of the new Capital One Lounges at airports? Will you be picking up the Venture X Card?