Last December Capital One introduced a transferrable points currency for their Venture and Spark products, which was an exciting development.
The Venture and Spark cards were previously useful for earning rewards that could be redeemed as cash towards a travel purchase, though the miles can now be transferred to airlines as well.
I’ve been impressed that Capital One has continued to improve the program since introducing it. We’ve seen them add more transfer partners, and have also seen them offer useful transfer bonuses.
As a reminder, Capital One currently has 15 transfer partners:
|Transfer Partner||Transfer Ratio|
|Aeromexico (Club Premier)||2 : 1.5 | 1000 : 750|
|Air Canada (Aeroplan)||2 : 1.5 | 1000 : 750|
|Air France KLM (Flying Blue)||2 : 1.5 | 1000 : 750|
|Alitalia (MilleMiglia Program)||2 : 1.5 | 1000 : 750|
|Avianca (LifeMiles)||2 : 1.5 | 1000 : 750|
|Cathay Pacific (Asia Miles)||2 : 1.5 | 1000 : 750|
|Emirates (Emirates Skywards)||2 : 1 | 1000 : 500|
|Etihad Airways (Etihad Guest)||2 : 1.5 | 1000 : 750|
|EVA Air (Infinity MileageLands)||2 : 1.5 | 1000 : 750|
|Finnair (Finnair Plus)||2 : 1.5 | 1000 : 750|
|Hainan Airlines (Fortune Wings Club)||2 : 1.5 | 1000 : 750|
|JetBlue (JetBlue TrueBlue)||2 : 1 | 1000 : 500|
|Qantas (Qantas Frequent Flyer)||2 : 1.5 | 1000 : 750|
|Qatar Airways (Privilege Club)||2 : 1.5 | 1000 : 750|
|Singapore Airlines (KrisFlyer)||2 : 1 | 1000 : 500|
New Capital One Transfer Bonus To Qantas
Capital One will be offering a 33.3% bonus on points transfers to Qantas Frequent Flyer. This promotion will be valid from 12:01AM ET on September 16, 2019 (tomorrow), through 11:59PM ET on October 31, 2019. Here’s how transferring Capital One miles to airline partners works.
Capital One miles normally transfer to Qantas at a 2,000:1,500 ratio. This is as good as Capital One transfer ratios get.
That means that with this promotion you can convert Capital One miles into Qantas at a 2,000:2,000 ratio, which is 1:1. That’s awesome.
The Best Use Of Qantas Points
Qantas is part of the oneworld alliance, though also has some other intriguing airline partnerships. In general Qantas Frequent Flyer has pretty high redemption rates, and they also impose carrier surcharges for travel on most of their partners.
For a sense of their pricing, here’s their award chart for travel on Qantas, Airnorth, Fiji Airways, Air Vanuatu, American Airlines, Emirates, Jetstar, and QantasLink:
Then here’s their partner award chart for travel on Aer Lingus, Air Niugini, Alaska Airlines, British Airways, Cathay Pacific Airways, China Eastern, Dragonair, EL AL, Finnair, Iberia, Japan Airlines, Jet Airways, LATAM, Malaysia Airlines, Qatar Airways, Royal Jordanian, S7 Airlines, and SriLankan Airlines:
Their rates are definitely on the steep side, but I also think there are circumstances where this could represent a good deal. For example:
- Qantas Frequent Flyer is one of the best ways to redeem miles for travel on airlines like Air Niugini, Air Vanuatu, etc.
- In some cases Qantas Frequent Flyer is the best program for Emirates first class redemptions, especially on shorter flights, and that gets even better when you factor in a transfer bonus
- Qantas Frequent Flyer has great redemption rates on EL AL, so this bonus makes those redemptions even more attractive
Book EL AL’s 787 business class through Qantas Frequent Flyer
Do note that some Qantas redemption rates are changing as of September 18, 2019. You can read more about those changes here.
The Best Capital One Credit Cards
- The Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card is the best personal credit card; it offers a welcome bonus of 50,000 Venture miles, 2x Venture miles per dollar spent, has a reasonable $95 annual fee that’s waived for the first year, and offers some other great perks that make the card worthwhile
- The Capital One® Spark® Miles for Business is the best business credit card; it is currently offering a limited-time welcome bonus of 50,000 bonus miles when you spend $5,000 in the first 3 months and an additional 150,000 bonus miles when you spend $50,000 in the first 6 months of your account opening. It also earns 2x Spark miles per dollar spent, has a reasonable $95 annual fee that’s waived for the first year, and offers some other great perks that make the card worthwhile
Capital One Transfer Bonus Summary
This is Capital One’s fifth transfer bonus in the short time that they’ve had a transferrable points currency, which is really impressive.
Qantas is transfer partners with Amex, Capital One, and Citi, so there are lots of ways to earn points with them. If you are going to transfer points to Qantas, you might as well take advantage of a transfer bonus.
Do you plan on transferring Capital One miles to Qantas with a 33.3% bonus?