Update: This offer for the Citi Prestige® Card has expired. Learn more about the current offers here.
The single best credit card welcome bonus of last year was on the Citi AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard, which at the time offered a welcome bonus of 100,000 AAdvantage miles. That was a hot bonus, and once it was discontinued we saw the offer more or less cut in half. I’d be surprised if we saw that bonus again as a publicly available offer anytime soon, for what it’s worth.
That being said, for the past couple of weeks we’ve seen the offer on this card increased quite nicely. For a limited time, the Citi AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard is offering a welcome bonus of 50,000 AAdvantage miles after spending $5,000 in purchases within the first three months of account opening.
Personally I value American miles at ~1.3 cents each, so to me the 50,000 miles are worth ~$650
The “catch” is that the card has a $450 annual fee, which isn’t waived the first year. Fortunately the Citi AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard comes with some great perks which help offset the annual fee:
- An Admirals Club membership, giving you access to Admirals Clubs regardless of which airline you’re flying
- 10,000 AAdvantage elite qualifying miles if you spend $40,000 on the card in a calendar year
- 25% savings on in-flight purchases of food, beverages, and headsets on flights operated by American Airlines and US Airways when purchased with the card
- Priority check-in, screening, and boarding on American and US Airways operated flights
Those benefits will have differing value depending on the type of consumer you are. That being said, focusing just on the welcome bonus itself, you’re earning 50,000 AAdvantage miles and paying a $450 annual fee. Using the value of 1.3 cents per American mile, that’s the equivalent of a welcome bonus I value at ~$650.
As far as the terms of the offer go, the offer isn’t available to those who have opened or closed this card in the past 18 months:
American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles are not available if you have had a Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite™ Card opened or closed in the past 18 months.
Furthermore, keep in mind the general rules of applying for Citi credit cards:
- You can only apply for one Citi card every eight days
- You can apply for no more than two Citi cards every 65 days
American AAdvantage miles continue to be one of the most valuable mileage currencies out there, and the welcome bonus on the Citi AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard is arguably the best welcome bonus out there offering those miles.
Assuming you can complete the minimum spend, I think picking up this card is a no brainer.