- Christmas in Germany: Introduction
- Christmas in Germany: Tampa SkyClub, Tampa to Detroit in Delta First Class
- Christmas in Germany: Detroit Layover
- Christmas in Germany: Detroit to Frankfurt in Delta BusinessElite
- Christmas in Germany: Hyatt Regency Mainz
- Christmas in Germany: InterContinental Frankfurt
- Christmas in Germany: Frankfurt JAL Lounge, Frankfurt to Detroit in Delta BusinessElite
- Christmas in Germany: Detroit to Seattle in Delta First Class
- Christmas in Germany: Grand Hyatt Seattle
- Christmas in Germany: Seattle to Washington Dulles to Tampa in United First Class
- Christmas in Germany: Conclusion
Let me summarize my trip with a few thoughts and lessons:
- I realized just how big of a difference there is between business and first class. Business class is much more comfortable than coach, though that’s about it. As a business class passenger I still experienced the “stress” of travel. I don’t remember the last time I flew international first class and felt that way, especially flying Lufthansa out of Frankfurt! Now, some foreign airlines might have business class products that rival first class on some airlines, but at least among US airlines, there’s a lot of work left to be done…
- Ultimately any transatlantic award redemption for 100,000 SkyMiles in business class is a bargain.
- Frankfurt Airport is absolutely chaotic… if you don’t have access to the Lufthansa First Class Terminal.
- While Delta’s business class seat wasn’t great, most of the rest of their fleet is updated with the new lie flat product. The food was above average for a US airline, while the service was average. For comparison purposes I wish I could have flown through Atlanta one way to see if the flight attendants were any different, though that didn’t work out.
- As an elite member, staying at hotels over the holidays can be an even more incredible bargain than usual. The restaurant breakfast at the Hyatt Regency Mainz and restaurant breakfast and Christmas buffet at the InterContinental Frankfurt were a treat.
- I’ve been converted. Wifi on domestic flights rock. Delta really blows the other carriers out of the water domestically.
And that’s what stuck out to me the most about the trip. I hope you enjoyed the trip report. I have some pretty exciting trips coming up in the next few months, though I’ll keep the details (somewhat) secret for now. Let’s just say that these are trips I’m losing sleep over (in a good way), which is rare.