Given how much consumer behavior has changed in the past several weeks, suffice to say that many credit card bonus categories aren’t as useful as they used to be. For example, at this point I think many of us would trade in bonus points on airfare and hotels for bonus points on toilet paper.
Along those lines, we’ve seen some card issuers get creative with bonus categories, and you can now add Chase to the list. While there are some great credit cards for restaurant spending, many of them don’t include delivery services.
Chase offering 5x points on food delivery
Through May 31, 2020, Chase is offering 5x points on up to $500 in cumulative purchases with DoorDash and Tock, which are restaurant delivery services.
On the following four cards you earn a total of 5x points, and that already factors in any bonus categories that may exist:
- The Chase Sapphire Reserve (you earn 2x additional points per dollar, since the card usually offers 3x points on dining)
- The Chase Sapphire Preferred (you earn 3x additional points per dollar, since the card usually offers 2x points on dining)
- The Chase Freedom Unlimited (you earn 3.5x additional points per dollar, since the card usually offers 1.5x points on all purchases)
- The Chase Freedom (you earn 4x additional points per dollar, since the card usually offers 1x points on purchases)
It can take up to eight weeks from an eligible purchase date for the bonus points to post, though in reality they may post faster than that.
Stack this with other Chase DoorDash benefits
You can stack the 5x points earning with some of the other benefits offered on DoorDash purchases through Chase:
- If you have the Sapphire Reserve, you can get a $60 DoorDash credit in both 2020 and 2021; no registration is required, and any DoorDash purchases will automatically reimburse when you use the card
- If you have either of the Chase Sapphire cards you can get a DoorDash DashPass membership for at least 12 months, while if you have either of the Freedom cards you can get a DashPass membership for three months; this gets you a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fee when making orders of at least $12 at thousands of restaurants
It’s nice to see this initiative from Chase to offer bonus points on food delivery. 5x points on select cards represents an incremental 2-4x points, depending on the card. When you stack it with the DashPass membership and Sapphire Reserve DoorDash statement credit, this is a great option for ordering in.
Will you benefit from this Chase promo on food delivery?