Update: This offer for the IHG® Rewards Club Select Credit Card has expired. Learn more about the current offers here.
Chase arguably has the all around most compelling travel credit cards at the moment. They have cards with great welcome bonuses, cards with generous return on spend, and cards with perks that are almost too good to be true. For example:
- The Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve®, Ink Business Preferred℠ Credit Card, and Ink Business Cash℠ Credit Card all have welcome bonuses of 50,000-80,000 points upon completing minimum spend
- Those same cards offer bonus categories for anywhere from 2-5x points
- Cards like The Hyatt Credit Card and IHG® Rewards Club Select Credit Card offer anniversary free night certificates that more than justify the annual fee
As I’ve explained before, typically you can be approved for at most two Chase credit cards in a 30 day period. I know I’ve been writing a lot about Chase cards lately, but the more I write about them, the more questions I’ve been getting, and I’ve realized that these are questions I largely haven’t addressed in the past. That brings me to one question I’ve received frequently lately.
Can you be approved for two Chase cards in one day?
The short answer is yes, you can potentially be approved for two Chase credit cards in one day. Assuming you haven’t applied for other Chase cards in the past 30 days, there’s nothing preventing you from getting two Chase cards in one day.
Those two applications could include two personal cards, two business cards, one personal card and one business card, two co-brand cards, two Ultimate Rewards cards, etc. That doesn’t really matter.
Caveats and exceptions to applying for two Chase cards in one day
The major issuers don’t technically publish these rules, but rather this advice is based on anecdotal experiences. There are always going to be exceptions. Some report only being approved for one card in 30 days. Others report being approved for three cards in 30 days. However, the most common data points suggest that you can pick up two cards in 30 days.
If you apply for two cards on the same day, in some instances Chase may automatically reject the second application and assume it’s a duplicate, and in other cases they may more closely scrutinize applications if they see two applications the same day.
These situations are fairly rare, so for the average person you generally shouldn’t have a problem applying for two cards on the same day.
Should you apply for two Chase cards the same day?
You potentially can apply for two Chase cards the same day, but should you? Everyone will have a different opinion here. My personal strategy would be to apply for one card first. If you get approved immediately (or almost immediately), you might as well apply for the second card the same day. If you get a message saying that your application will be processed or is under review, personally I would wait until that card is approved before applying for the next card from the same issuer.
That’s simply because I don’t like having two pending applications from the same issuer. Others will feel differently, but those are my thoughts.
The 5/24 rule still applies
With Chase it’s always important to remember the 5/24 rule, which will be applied in the order in which you apply for cards (sometimes there’s a right and wrong order). With this rule, Chase won’t approve you for select cards if you have five or more new card accounts showing on your personal credit report in the past 24 months:
- In terms of calculating the number of applications you’ve had, most business card applications (including those from Amex, Chase, and Citi) typically won’t count towards that limit; this means applying for a card like the Ink Business Preferred℠ Credit Card or Ink Business Cash℠ Credit Card typically won’t count towards your total
- Not all Chase cards are subjected to this rule — you can potentially be approved for The Hyatt Credit Card, IHG® Rewards Club Select Credit Card, or British Airways Visa Signature® Card, if you’ve exceeded that limit
Potential great card combos to apply for same day
Chase has so many great card offers right now:
- If you’re looking for business cards, you can pick up both the Ink Business Preferred℠ Credit Card or Ink Business Cash℠ Credit Card, which combined would earn you 130,000 Ultimate Rewards points; I’d especially consider the Ink Cash right now, given that it has its best ever welcome bonus
- If you don’t have any Ultimate Rewards cards yet, you could pick up either the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card or Chase Sapphire Reserve®, plus either the Ink Business Preferred℠ Credit Card or Ink Business Cash℠ Credit Card
- If you’ve over 5/24, you could apply for the IHG® Rewards Club Select Credit Card and British Airways Visa Signature® Card
You can potentially be approved for two Chase credit cards the same day, and it shouldn’t matter whether they’re business or personal cards. Just make sure you haven’t applied for any other Chase cards in the past 30 days. My personal strategy is to apply for one card first, and only apply for the second card after I’ve received approval for the first one. However, I know others apply for a second one without getting instant approval on the first, and that still ends up being okay.
What’s your strategy when you want to apply for two Chase cards? Do you apply for both the same day, or spread out the applications?