Amex Platinum Card Benefits: Adding Authorized Users
Amex Platinum Card Benefits: $200 Annual Airline Fee Credit
Amex Platinum Card Benefits: $200 Annual Uber Credit
Amex Platinum Card Benefits: Free Hotel Status
Amex Platinum Card Benefits: Airport Lounge Access
Amex Platinum Card Benefits: 5x Points On Airfare & Hotels
Amex Platinum Card Benefits: Global Entry Or TSA Pre-Check Credit
Amex Platinum Card Benefits: Free Rental Car Status
Amex Platinum Card Benefits: Fine Hotels & Resorts
In this post, I wanted to talk about the options you have for adding authorized users to The Platinum Card® from American Express, which you’ll want to do in advance if you anticipate needing to transfer points to their frequent flyer accounts.
What’s the cost to add authorized users to the Amex Platinum Card?
You have a couple of options for adding authorized users to the Amex Platinum Card:
- You can add up to three Amex Platinum Card authorized users for a total of $175 (Rates & Fees)
- Beyond the third Platinum Card authorized user, each additional Platinum Card authorized user costs $175
- Alternatively, you can add up to 99 Gold Card authorized users to your Amex Platinum Card at no additional cost
What benefits do Platinum Card authorized users get?
If you add three authorized users to your Amex Platinum Card for $175, you’re essentially paying ~$58 per authorized user. Authorized users on the Amex Platinum Card receive:
- Access to Amex Centurion Lounges, including the ability to guest up to two people per visit at no additional cost
- Access to Delta SkyClubs when flying Delta on the same day, though you have to pay $27 for each additional guest
- A Priority Pass membership, including the ability to take up to two guests with you at no additional cost
- An $85 TSA Pre-Check or $100 Global Entry fee credit per authorized user, once every five years (since that’s how often you have to renew those memberships)
- The hotel status that comes with the Amex Platinum Card, including Hilton Honors Gold status and Marriott Bonvoy Gold status
- Access to the American Express Fine Hotels & Resorts collection, where you can get additional benefits for stays at many luxury hotels
Those are some incredible perks. This is especially useful for Delta flyers, since those with the Amex Platinum Card can’t guest people into lounges for free, so if you have people you travel with often, add them as authorized users, and then everyone can access a SkyClub with their own card.
The same is true for Amex Centurion Lounges if you want to bring in more guests. If you’re the primary cardmember and have three authorized users, you can collectively bring 12 people into a Centurion Lounge.
The two main perks that Amex Platinum Card authorized users don’t get are the $200 per year in airline fee credits and the $200 per year in Uber credits.
Adding Gold Card authorized users to the Platinum Card
One of the new benefits of The Platinum Card® from American Express is that you can now add up to 99 Gold Card authorized users to your Platinum Card for no additional cost.
For the most part, this is a good low-cost option if you want to earn Membership Rewards points for other peoples’ spend. These Gold Cards earn points at the same rates as the primary cardholder, so still get 5x points per $1 spent on purchases made with airlines or with American Express Travel. They’re also each eligible for their own Global Entry or TSA Pre✓ fee credits.
One of the best ways to maximize the value you get out of The Platinum Card® from American Express is to add authorized users. They get most of the same benefits as primary cardmembers, minus the airline fee credits and Uber credits. Adding three authorized users for under $60 each and getting them Amex Centurion Lounge access, Delta SkyClub access, and a Priority Pass membership, among other benefits, is pretty darn good.
Some might also find value in adding Gold Card authorized users, given that they can earn double points for dining at U.S. restaurants that way.
The following links will direct you to the rates and fees for mentioned American Express Cards. These include: The Platinum Card® from American Express (Rates & Fees).