As the year comes to a close, I thought it would be fun to look back at the past year on the blog, and highlight the most popular posts. While this site gets a lot of traffic, I spend a surprisingly limited amount of time focused on analytics.
Sure, I try to do basic things that are good for SEO, but if you asked me how much traffic the site got in a particular month, I wouldn’t know. I’ll take it a step further — I actually don’t have the log-in details for our Google Analytics page (which I just realized, because when I sat down to write this post I tried to log in for the first time in 2019, and realized my credentials didn’t work, so Tiffany got this info for me instead).
The reason I don’t focus much on this stuff is because I prefer to focus on writing, and in particular focus on writing about what I enjoy. I write 50+ posts per week, week after week, and I’d be burned out by now if I weren’t writing about the things that I enjoy.
The Most Read OMAAT Posts Of 2019
With the above out of the way, the most read posts aren’t necessarily the ones that I would consider the most useful. I’m often surprised by the things that others find interesting, because sometimes the things that end up being most popular are the posts that I don’t think much of.
With that in mind, below are the 19 posts that were read the most in 2019, in order of traffic. One of these posts was written in previous years, so next to each post I’ll put the year in which the post was published. In order of the amount of traffic received:
- Delta’s Shocking Warning Letter To A Frequent Flyer (2019)
- Help Me Understand The Uber Cancelation Scam? (2019)
- American Airlines To Make Huge Announcement: Here Are Some Clues (2019)
- An American Airlines Flight’s Terrifying JFK Takeoff (2019)
- UK Bans Emirates First Class Shower Attendants (2019)
- Why I Can No Longer Recommend Google Fi (2019)
- Uber Now Lets You Pay In Cash In Some Cities (2016)
- American Lied To Me About Why My Flight Was Canceled (2019)
- American Mechanics Intentionally Delayed My Flight (2019)
- American’s Embarrassing International First Class Service (2019)
- United Flight Canceled Because Both Pilots Drank Too Much (2019)
- I’m Not Sure American Airlines Is At Fault Here (For Once)? (2019)
- Chase Forgiving All Credit Card Debt In Canada (2019)
- The World’s 9 Best Business Class Seats (2019)
- This Flight Attendant’s Defense Of Bad Service Explains Everything (2019)
- Rough Landing Seriously Damages Delta 757 (2019)
- United Airlines Threatens To Stop Selling Flights Through Expedia (2019)
- Guy Turned Down $1,500 To Switch Economy Seats (2019)
- Ouch: British Airways Pilots Lose Flight Benefits After Strike (2019)
My Takeaway From This Info
My main takeaway is that the things that I enjoy writing about (trip reports, ways to earn and redeem miles, etc.) aren’t necessarily the things that the internet at large enjoys reading about. That won’t change the approach I take, though.
For example, the top trip report post of this year only ranked in the 50th spot when it came to page views.
I always find it interesting to look at the most read posts of the year, not because the data changes what I’ll write about, but rather because it’s just interesting what ends up going sort of viral.
As always, thank you guys so much for reading. I’m incredibly fortunate to be able to do what I love every day and call it a job, even if it doesn’t feel like it. I owe that all to you guys.
Here’s to a great 2020 filled with big credit welcome bonuses, mistake fares that are honored, and lots of great promotions.