As the year comes to a close, I thought it would be fun to look back at the past year on the blog, and highlight the most popular posts. While this site gets a lot of traffic, I spend a surprisingly limited amount of time focused on analytics. Sure, I try to do basic things that are good for SEO, but if you asked me how much traffic the site got in a particular month, I’d have to check the Google Analytics page.
The reason I don’t focus much on this stuff is because I prefer to focus on writing, and in particular focus on writing about what I enjoy. I write 60+ posts per week, week after week, and I’d be burned out by now if I weren’t writing about the things that I enjoy.
With that in mind, the most read posts aren’t necessarily the ones that I would consider the most useful. I’m often surprised by the things that others find interesting, because sometimes the things that end up being most popular are the posts that I don’t think much of.
With that in mind, below are the 17 posts that were read the most in 2017. Many of these posts were written in previous years, so next to each post I’ll put the year in which the post was published. In order of the amount of traffic received:
- Everything You Need To Know About Getting An “SSSS” On Your Boarding Pass (2017)
- Uber Now Lets You Pay In Cash In Some Cities (2016)
- Why You SHOULDN’T Get The Capital One Venture Card (2015)
- My First Experience With UberEATS (2015)
- Do You Need To Put Your Middle Name On Airline Tickets? (2015)
- Ridiculous: Air Canada Flight Has To Declare “Mayday” Four Times Before Being Allowed To Land (2017)
- How Does Postmates Work? (2015)
- How Much Are Delta SkyMiles Worth? (2015)
- The World’s 6 Best First Class Airline Products (2015)
- Details Of LEVEL, IAG’s New Transatlantic Low Cost Airline (2017)
- What Is Uber VIP? (2015)
- What Should You Do If You’re Scheduled To Fly Qatar Airways? (2017)
- Review: EVA Air Business Class 777 Los Angeles To Taipei (2017)
- Seniors: Get Your US National Parks Lifetime Pass Now Or Pay More Later (2016)
- Review: Emirates Business Class A380 Dubai To Los Angeles (2017)
- My Experience Switching From AT&T To T-Mobile (2016)
- A Lufthansa A380 Had A 7 Hour Flight To Nowhere Today (2017)
What do I take away from this?
- The things that I enjoy writing about (trip reports, ways to earn and redeem miles, etc.) aren’t necessarily the things that the internet at large enjoys reading about, though that won’t change the approach I take
- I’m always surprised by how many old posts still do extremely well; of the top 17 posts, only seven were published this year
As always, thank you guys so much for reading. I’m incredibly fortunate to be able to do what I love every day and call it a job, even if it doesn’t feel like it. I owe that all to you guys. Here’s to a great 2018 filled with big credit card sign-up bonuses, mistake fares that are honored, and lots of great promotions.