Registration is now open for Marriott’s next global promotion, valid for stays over the next several weeks.
This follows Marriott Bonvoy’s previous “Unlimited Bonus Points” promotion, which ended on June 14, 2020. That promotion offered 2,000 bonus points per stay, starting with your second stay.
Marriott’s new promo: 2,500 points per stay, and more
Marriott Bonvoy has today formally opened registration for its newest promotion:
- Members can earn 2,500 Bonvoy bonus points per stay, plus a one-time bonus of 5,000 bonus points after the third stay
- Registration is required prior to your first eligible stay
- This promotion is valid for stays between August 13 and October 18, 2020
- Only paid stays count towards this promotion, and not award stays
- There’s no limit to how many bonus points you can earn
- All hotels globally will be participating
St. Regis Bora Bora
How valuable is this promotion?
Marriott Bonvoy hasn’t really had any lucrative promotions in a very long time. On the plus side, this promotion is better than the last one:
- You earn 2,500 bonus points per stay, rather than 2,000
- You start earning bonus points with the first stay, rather than with the second stay
- You get a 5,000 point bonus after your third stay
I value Marriott Bonvoy points at ~0.7 cents each, so to me:
- The 2,500 bonus points you earn after every stay are worth ~$17.50
- For the first three stays, you’d be earning an average of ~4,167 points per stay (due to the 5,000 point bonus), which translates to a return of ~$29 for each of the first three stays
If you frequently make short and inexpensive stays then this promotion is pretty solid. However, for those making longer stays, or staying at more expensive hotels, this will hardly move the needle.
Normal Marriott Bonvoy points earning rates
Not factoring in this promotion, Marriott Bonvoy members ordinarily earn:
- 10x Bonvoy points per dollar spent at most brands
- 5x Bonvoy points per dollar spent at Element, Residence Inn, and TownePlace Suites
Then there are elite bonuses:
- Silver Elite members earn 10% bonus points
- Gold Elite members earn 25% bonus points
- Platinum Elite members earn 50% bonus points
- Titanium Elite & Ambassador Elite members earn 75% bonus points
The above doesn’t include the points you can earn for credit card spending at hotels:
- You can earn up to 6x Bonvoy points per dollar spent on most co-branded Marriott cards
- Through October 31, 2020, you can even earn 10x Bonvoy points on Marriott spending with Marriott Amex cards
- Otherwise, you can earn up to 3x transferable points (with Amex Membership Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards, or Citi ThankYou)
Marriott’s limited time co-branded credit card offers
If you’re looking for another way to earn Bonvoy points, at the moment Marriott’s co-branded Chase credit cards have limited-time offers:
- The Marriott Bonvoy Bold™ Credit Card (review) is offering a welcome bonus of 50,000 Bonvoy bonus points after spending $1,000 within three months
- The Marriott Bonvoy Boundless™ Credit Card (review) is offering a welcome bonus of 100,000 Bonvoy bonus points after spending $3,000 within three months
Marriott has officially launched its latest global promotion, offering 2,500 bonus points per stay, plus an extra 5,000 bonus points after three stays.
This is a better promotion than we’ve seen Marriott offer in the past, though it’s still not all that much to get excited about, especially for longer or more expensive stays. Meanwhile for one night stays at cheap properties, this is solid.
What do you make of Marriott’s new global promotion?