At the end of August we learned the details of Marriott Bonvoy’s newest global promotion, which is now live. While most other major hotel groups had promos this summer, Marriott didn’t — the program’s last offer ended in April 2021. Unfortunately this new promotion isn’t much to get excited about either.
Marriott Bonvoy offering bonus points with each stay
Bonvoy members can register for Marriott’s latest global promotion, offering 1,500 bonus points on each stay, plus 3,000 additional bonus points for stays at all-inclusives:
- The promotion is valid for stays between September 14 and December 12, 2021, regardless of when they’re booked
- Registration is required prior to your first eligible stay, and registration closes on November 28, 2021
- The promotion kicks in starting with your first stay
- Only paid stays qualify towards this promotion, so award stays don’t qualify
- There’s no limit to how many bonus points you can earn
- Bonus points will post within seven business days of checking out of a hotel
- All hotels globally are participating, and there’s no minimum length of stay required to unlock the bonus
How valuable is this Marriott Bonvoy promotion?
Not at all, unfortunately. On the plus side, the promotion is pretty straightforward, and you start earning bonus points with your first paid stay. Unfortunately that’s where the good aspects of this promotion end. I value Bonvoy points at 0.7 cents each, which means:
- 1,500 bonus points are worth $10.50 to me
- 3,000 bonus points are worth $21 to me
In other words, for each paid stay (not even award stays) you’re earning the equivalent of $10.50. I suppose that’s decent if you make one night stays at inexpensive properties, but if you’re staying for longer and at more expensive properties, this is one of the weakest promotions we’ve seen from any hotel group in a very long time.
You’d think Marriott would want to incentivize Bonvoy members to spend more and stay at luxury properties, but this promotion certainly doesn’t encourage that kind of behavior.
Normal Marriott Bonvoy points earning rates
Not factoring in this promotion, Marriott Bonvoy members ordinarily earn:
- 10x Bonvoy points per dollar spent at most brands
- 5x Bonvoy points per dollar spent at Element, Residence Inn, and TownePlace Suites
Then there are elite bonuses:
- Silver Elite members earn 10% bonus points
- Gold Elite members earn 25% bonus points
- Platinum Elite members earn 50% bonus points
- Titanium Elite & Ambassador Elite members earn 75% bonus points
The above doesn’t include the points you can earn for credit card spending at hotels:
- You can earn up to 6x Bonvoy points per dollar spent on most co-branded Marriott cards, including the the Marriott Bonvoy Business™ American Express® Card (review) and Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card (review); on top of that there’s a discount on Marriott stays through Amex Offers, and also some spending bonuses on co-branded Marriott cards
- Otherwise, you can earn up to 3x transferable points on hotel spending (with Amex Membership Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards, or Citi ThankYou)
As a Titanium member with a co-branded credit card, I ordinarily earn 23.5x Bonvoy points per dollar spent. At a valuation of 0.7 cents per point, that’s like a ~16% return on hotel spending.
Marriott Bonvoy has launched its newest global promotion, which members need to register for. With this promo, members earn 1,500 bonus points per paid stay, and an additional 3,000 bonus points for paid stays at all-inclusives. This is an underwhelming promotion, especially when you consider that Marriott Bonvoy was the only major hotel group to not have a promotion this summer.
If you really want to earn lots of bonus points, consider taking advantage of the Marriott Bonvoy credit card bonuses available right now.
What do you make of Marriott Bonvoy’s global promotion?