Earlier some positive 2021 program changes were announced for Marriott Bonvoy (in addition to elite guarantees being restored). As part of this we learned the details of Marriott’s next global promotion. While registration isn’t yet open, in this post I wanted to provide a rundown of what we know so far, since Marriott’s latest promotion ended in early November 2020.
Marriott promo: double points & double elite nights
Marriott Bonvoy’s next promotion will offer double Bonvoy points and double elite nights for stays of two nights or more:
- The promotion will be valid for stays between February 16 and April 27, 2021, regardless of when they’re booked
- Registration is expected to open in early February, and will be required prior to your first eligible stay
- The promotion will kick in starting with your first stay
- Only stays with at least one paid night will count towards this promotion
- There will be no limit to how many bonus points you can earn
- All hotels globally will participate
St. Regis Bora Bora
How valuable is this Bonvoy promotion?
This is easily the most lucrative promotion we’ve seen from Marriott Bonvoy in quite a long time:
- Bonvoy members will earn 5x bonus points per dollar spent at Element, Residence Inn, and TownePlace suites
- Bonvoy members will earn 10x bonus points per dollar spent at all other brands
I value Bonvoy points at 0.7 cents each, so to me that’s like an incremental 3.5-7% return on Marriott spending.
The bonus elite nights should also help to make it even easier to earn status with Marriott Bonvoy in 2021, though the truth is that it will already be quite easy:
- Bonvoy elite members will have 50% of the elite nights correlated to their 2020 status deposited in their account
- Bonvoy members can earn up to 30 elite nights per year with co-branded Marriott credit cards, like the Marriott Bonvoy Business™ American Express® Card (review) and Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card (review)
For example, as a Titanium member with both of the above cards, I’ll be starting the year with 68 elite nights. Unless I go for Ambassador status (which requires $14,000 worth of spending in 2021), I won’t have much need for the double elite nights.
Normal Marriott Bonvoy points earning rates
Not factoring in this promotion, Marriott Bonvoy members ordinarily earn:
- 10x Bonvoy points per dollar spent at most brands
- 5x Bonvoy points per dollar spent at Element, Residence Inn, and TownePlace Suites
Then there are elite bonuses:
- Silver Elite members earn 10% bonus points
- Gold Elite members earn 25% bonus points
- Platinum Elite members earn 50% bonus points
- Titanium Elite & Ambassador Elite members earn 75% bonus points
The above doesn’t include the points you can earn for credit card spending at hotels:
- You can earn up to 6x Bonvoy points per dollar spent on most co-branded Marriott cards
- Otherwise, you can earn up to 3x transferable points (with Amex Membership Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards, or Citi ThankYou)
As a Titanium member with a co-branded credit card, I could be earning 33.5x Bonvoy points per dollar spent. At a valuation of 0.7 cents per point, that’s like a ~24% return on hotel spending, which is solid.
Stack this with targeted Marriott Bonvoy promos
In addition to this upcoming global promotion, Marriott is also offering some targeted promotions. You’ll want to check the promotions section of your account to see what you’re eligible for. For example, I have a targeted promotion for up to 22,500 Bonvoy bonus points after two paid stays.
Marriott Bonvoy has revealed the details of its upcoming global promotion, offering double points and double elite nights for stays of two or more nights this spring. Earning an extra 5-10x points per dollar spent, plus bonus elite nights, is quite generous.
Marriott Bonvoy status should be quite easy to earn in 2021, and it’s nice to see Marriott offering something quite compelling. I’ll post again when registration for this promotion goes live.
What do you make of Marriott’s first global promotion of 2021?