Marriott Bonvoy has just opened registration for their latest global promotion. This comes after their previous promotion ended in mid-January.
Here’s what you need to know about the new promotion:
Marriott’s “Unlimited Bonus Points” Promotion
Marriott Bonvoy “Unlimited Bonus Points” is the Marriott Bonvoy program’s first new global promotion of 2020.
This promotion is straightforward, but also not terribly exciting:
- Earn 2,000 Bonvoy bonus points for each stay, starting with your second stay
- Valid for stays between March 17 and June 14, 2020
- There’s no limit to how many bonus points you can earn
- All hotels globally are participating
- Award stays are not eligible for this promotion
- Registration is required by May 31, 2020
St. Regis Bora Bora
How Valuable Is This Promotion?
This promotion is okay, but not exactly lucrative for most. I value Marriott Bonvoy points at ~0.7 cents each, so to me 2,000 points are worth $14. That means starting with your second stay you’ll earn the equivalent of ~$14 worth of points after every stay.
This is okay for people who frequently make short stays at inexpensive properties, but hardly moves the needle for those staying at expensive hotels, or those making longer stays.
Normal Marriott Bonvoy Points Earning Rates
Not factoring in this promotion, Marriott Bonvoy members ordinarily earn:
- 10x Bonvoy points per dollar spent at most brands
- 5x Bonvoy points per dollar spent at Element, Residence Inn, and TownePlace Suites
Then there are elite bonuses:
- Silver Elite members earn 10% bonus points
- Gold Elite members earn 25% bonus points
- Platinum Elite members earn 50% bonus points
- Titanium Elite & Ambassador Elite members earn 75% bonus points
The above doesn’t include the points you can earn for credit card spending at hotels, as you can earn up to 6x Bonvoy points per dollar spent, or otherwise up to 3x transferable points (with Amex Membership Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards, or Citi ThankYou).
Marriott has just revealed the details of their new global promotion, offering 2,000 bonus points for every stay, starting with the second stay. Personally I value 2,000 points at a ~$14 return.
This is better than nothing, though all things considered is a weak promotion that won’t really cause me to switch around any stays. Add in the global drop in demand due to coronavirus, and I’m surprised we’re not seeing hotels offering more generous promotions.
What do you make of the Marriott Bonvoy “Unlimited Bonus Points” promo?