Marriott Bonvoy has today launched its global promotion for fall 2022, the details of which were announced a couple of weeks ago. Marriott last had a promotion in the spring, while we saw nothing in the summer. This new promotion is better than nothing, but it’s hard to get excited about…
Earn up to 4K points per stay with Marriott promo
With Marriott Bonvoy’s new global promotion:
- Members can earn 2,000 Bonvoy bonus points per eligible stay, starting with the second stay
- Those with a co-branded Marriott credit card can earn an additional 2,000 bonus points for each eligible stay at a different brand, starting with the second brand
Registration is required for this promotion, and as you’d expect, there are some details to be aware of:
- The promotion is valid for stays between September 21 and December 15, 2022, regardless of when they’re booked
- Registration is required prior to your first eligible stay, and registration closes on December 1, 2022
- Only stays paid with cash qualify toward this promotion, so award stays don’t qualify
- The standard bonus points will post within seven business days of checking out of a hotel, while bonus points from staying at new brands will post within six weeks of checking out of a hotel
- There’s no limit to how many bonus points you can earn
- All hotels globally are participating, and there’s no minimum length of stay required to unlock the bonus
How valuable is this Marriott Bonvoy promotion?
As I mentioned above, this promotion is better than nothing, but that’s about it, in my opinion:
- I value Marriott Bonvoy points at 0.7 cents each, meaning that 2,000 bonus points is worth $14 to me
- That means starting with your second stay you get a bonus of $14 per stay, plus co-branded credit card holders get a bonus of an additional $14 for each brand they stay at
This promotion is obviously best for those making short stays at inexpensive properties, since the value decreases significantly if you’re making longer stays or staying at expensive properties.
Normal Marriott Bonvoy points earning rates
Not factoring in this promotion, Marriott Bonvoy members ordinarily earn:
- 10x Bonvoy points per dollar spent at most brands
- 5x Bonvoy points per dollar spent at Element, Residence Inn, and TownePlace Suites
Then there are elite bonuses:
- Silver Elite members earn 10% bonus points
- Gold Elite members earn 25% bonus points
- Platinum Elite members earn 50% bonus points
- Titanium Elite & Ambassador Elite members earn 75% bonus points
The above doesn’t include the points you can earn for credit card spending at hotels:
- You can earn up to 6x Bonvoy points per dollar spent on most co-branded Marriott cards, including the the Marriott Bonvoy Business® American Express® Card (review) and Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant® American Express® Card (review)
- Otherwise, you can earn up to 3x transferable points on hotel spending (with Amex Membership Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards, or Citi ThankYou)
As a Titanium member with a co-branded credit card, I ordinarily earn 23.5x Bonvoy points per dollar spent. At a valuation of 0.7 cents per point, that’s like a ~16% return on hotel spending.
Marriott Bonvoy has just launched its new global promotion, which members need to register for. With this promo, members earn 2,000 bonus points for every paid stay (starting with the second), plus those with a co-branded credit card earn an additional 2,000 bonus points for every different brand they stay at (starting with the second brand).
What do you make of Marriott Bonvoy’s new global promotion?