Update: This offer for American Express® Gold Card has expired. Learn more about the current offers here.
It’s amazing to see the progression of credit card category bonuses the past few years. When I say “category bonuses” I’m talking about the ability to earn bonus points in specific categories, like on dining, grocery stores, supermarkets, etc.
Back in the day I’d typically earn one point per dollar in most categories, while nowadays I’m typically earning 3-4x points per dollar in the categories I spend most in, 5x points in some categories, and often 2x points in non-bonused categories.
So in this post I wanted to share what I consider to be the five best personal credit card bonus categories, and the five best business credit card bonus categories. This is of course highly subjective, so I’m curious to hear which categories you guys like most.
My favorite personal card bonus categories
Here are what I consider to be the five best bonus categories available on personal cards:
- The Platinum Card® from American Express — 5x points on airfare purchased directly from airlines
- The American Express® Gold Card — 4x points at U.S. restaurants
- The American Express® Gold Card — 4x points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 of spend per calendar year)
- Chase Sapphire Reserve® — 3x points on all travel purchases (with the exception of airfare purchased directly from airlines, where I use the Amex Plat)
- Citi Premier — 3x points on gas
My favorite business card bonus categories
Here are what I consider to be the five best bonus categories available on business cards:
- Ink Business Cash℠ Credit Card — 5x points on internet, cable TV, mobile phones, and landlines (on up to $25,000 of combined purchases per account year across all bonus categories)
- Ink Business Cash℠ Credit Card — 5x points at office supply stores (on up to $25,000 of combined purchases per account year across all bonus categories)
- Ink Business Preferred℠ Credit Card — 3x points on travel (on up to $150,000 of combined purchases per account year across all bonus categories)
- American Express® Business Gold Card — 4x points at U.S. gas stations, assuming this is one of your top 2 spend categories each month (on up to $150,000 of spend per calendar year)
- The Blue Business℠ Plus Credit Card from American Express — 2x points on all purchases (on up to $50,000 per calendar year)
Not only are credit card bonus categories better than ever before, but the best part is that many of the best cards out there are those without annual fees. Nowadays I’m averaging somewhere around 3x points per dollar on my spend across all categories. Since these are transferable points that I value at ~1.7 cents each, that’s like an average of a ~5% return on spend.
What are your favorite credit card bonus categories?