American Express and Delta have had a close relationship for many years, and as part of that, they issue seven co-branded Delta Amex cards, including the Blue, Gold, Platinum, and Reserve cards (with the exception of the Blue product, all the others have both a personal and business version). At the moment most of these cards have limited-time offers, so this is a great time to apply.
Gold Delta Amex Card Basics For July 2022
In this post, I wanted to look at the popular Delta SkyMiles Gold American Express Card. This card has a reasonable annual fee and is ideal for someone looking for basic benefits that come in handy when flying Delta. If you’re a Medallion elite flyer on Delta, then another card might be a better option (more on that below).
Delta Gold Amex Welcome Bonus: 70,000 SkyMiles
Through Wednesday, August 3, 2022, the Gold Delta SkyMiles Amex has a a limited-time welcome offer of 70,000 bonus SkyMiles after spending $2,000 within the first three months. Personally, I value SkyMiles at 1.1 cents each, so that bonus is worth ~$770, which is excellent.
The welcome bonus on the card is “once in a lifetime,” so it’s not available to you if you currently have the card, or if you’ve had the card in the past. However, note that you can get each “flavor” of the Delta Amex card, so you are eligible for this card if you’ve had the Platinum or Reserve, or if you’ve had any of the business versions. You can read more about Amex’s general application restrictions here.
The Gold Delta SkyMiles American Express Card has a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $99. (Rates & Fees). This is a great opportunity to try the card before you have to “buy” it. You can add additional users to the card at no extra cost.
Earning Miles With Gold Delta Amex Card
The Gold Delta SkyMiles Credit Card offers:
- 2x SkyMiles for purchases directly with Delta, including for flights, Delta Sky Club memberships, seat upgrades, and more
- 2x SkyMiles at restaurants globally
- 2x SkyMiles at U.S. supermarkets
- 1x SkyMiles on all other purchases
While it’s nice that the card has some bonus categories, I don’t find the bonuses to be particularly compelling. There are still better cards out there for airfare purchases, restaurant purchases, and grocery store purchases.
No Foreign Transaction Fees
If you are going to put spending on the card, the good news is that there are no foreign transaction fees (Rates & Fees) with the Gold Delta Amex, so you can use the card abroad without paying those high fees.
Gold Delta Amex Card Benefits & Perks
The Gold Delta SkyMiles Credit Card has an excellent welcome bonus, though this isn’t a card I would use for everyday spending, as there are much better cards out there. The real reason you’ll want to keep this card long-term is because of the perks and benefits that it offers, which are great for the casual Delta flyer. Let’s take a closer look at those.
First Checked Bag Free
Just for having the Gold Delta SkyMiles Card, you get a first checked bag free, which would otherwise cost $30 one-way per person:
- This benefit is limited to the primary cardmember and anyone traveling on the same reservation with them (up to nine people)
- You don’t have to pay for your flight with your Delta Amex, though you do need to have your SkyMiles number in the reservation
- This is only valid for travel on Delta and Delta Connection
This is a great value, given that you’ll usually pay $60 per person roundtrip for a checked bag. If you’re traveling with someone then you’re looking at $120 roundtrip in savings, which more than covers the annual fee on the card.
Delta Priority Boarding
For having the Delta Gold Amex you receive Main Cabin 1 Priority Boarding on Delta flights, which helps you to board early and make sure you can find space for your carry-ons.
This is also valid for a total of up to nine people traveling on the same reservation with the primary cardmember.
20% Delta Inflight Savings
If you have the Gold Delta Amex then you can save 20% in the form of a statement credit for eligible pre-purchased meals, and in-flight purchases of food, alcoholic beverages, and audio headsets, on Delta flights. Allow 8-12 weeks for the statement credit to post.
Pay With Miles
Delta has a Pay With Miles feature, where if you have a Delta co-branded credit card you can redeem miles for one cent each toward a Delta flight purchase (in increments of 5,000 miles per $50). That’s not the best deal in the world, though this is a feature that’s exclusively available to those with an eligible card.
Some people find this to be useful since they can redeem their miles toward flights, and then they still earn elite miles for taking those flights.
One of the great features of Amex cards is access to Amex Offers, which offers savings or bonus points on purchases with all kinds of retailers. There’s huge value to be had in getting as many Amex cards as possible, so that you can get these offers on multiple cards.
Amex Offers could save you hundreds of dollars per year. You can access these offers by logging into your account and scrolling down to the bottom of your account summary page.
For having the Delta Gold Amex you get a ShopRunner membership, which gets you free two-day shipping on eligible items at a network of 100+ online stores. You just have to enroll in your complimentary membership and can then start taking advantage of it.
Is The Gold Delta SkyMiles American Express Worth It?
The Gold Delta SkyMiles Credit Card isn’t a card I’d be using for my everyday spending, since there are many more rewarding cards for that. However:
- This card has a great welcome bonus
- This card can be worth holding onto for the first checked bag free, priority boarding, inflight savings, access to Pay With Miles, Amex Offers, and more
In other words, for someone who flies Delta occasionally, I think this is the best card to get, and the benefits can more than offset the annual fee.
Looking For A Business Credit Card?
If this card sounds interesting to you but you want a business card instead, consider the Delta SkyMiles® Gold Business American Express Card. The only significant difference is that the business card earns 2x SkyMiles on U.S. shipping and on U.S. advertising, rather than 2x SkyMiles at U.S. supermarkets. Learn more about applying for Amex business cards.
What About Delta’s No Annual Fee Card?
- The card earns 2x SkyMiles on Delta purchases and at restaurants worldwide
- The card offers 20% back on inflight purchases
- The card has no foreign transaction fees (Rates & Fees)
- The card gives you access to Delta’s Pay With Miles feature
Beyond that, though, there are limited perks. If you’d get value out of a first checked bag free or priority boarding, then you’re much better off getting one of Delta’s cards with an annual fee.
Quick Showdown: Delta Gold Amex Vs. Delta Platinum Amex
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 70,000 bonus miles after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Earn 2X Miles on Delta purchases, at U.S. Supermarkets and at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery in the U.S.
- Earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases.
- $100 Delta Flight Credit: After you spend $10,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, receive a Credit to use toward future travel.
- Enjoy a $0 introductory Annual Fee for the first year, then $99.
- Terms Apply.
The Gold Delta Amex is a good option for the occasional Delta flyer looking for basic perks.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
The Delta Platinum Amex is a great option for the more frequent Delta flyer.
Consider Earning Amex Membership Rewards Points
If you are looking to earn Delta SkyMiles through credit card spending then consider using a card earning Amex Membership Rewards points. That’s because these points can be transferred to Delta SkyMiles at a 1:1 ratio, and you can in many cases earn points at a much faster rate.
For example, the American Express® Gold Card (review) offers 4x points at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 in purchases per calendar year), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or at amextravel.com.
The Gold Delta SkyMiles Credit Card is a card that can be worth holding onto for the benefits that it offers, like a free checked bag, priority boarding, inflight savings, and more. This is an especially good time to pick up the card, given the offer that’s available right now.
For the more frequent Delta flyer, consider the Platinum Delta SkyMiles Credit Card, which has a bigger bonus and more perks, but also has a higher annual fee.
The following links will direct you to the rates and fees for mentioned American Express Cards. These include: Delta SkyMiles® Blue American Express Card (Rates & Fees), and Delta SkyMiles® Gold American Express Card (Rates & Fees).