It’s fairly rare to see an airline loyalty program offer a compelling bonus for new members nowadays, but that’s exactly what we’re seeing from Qatar Airways. As a matter of fact, Qatar Airways Privilege Club is offering two different new member bonuses.
Qatar Airways Privilege Club new member bonuses
At the moment Qatar Airways Privilege Club is offering two different new member bonuses. Which deal is better depends on whether you plan on taking any flights with Qatar Airways in the coming months, and also whether you intend to earn status in the Privilege Club program.
Offer #1 — earn up to 7,500 bonus miles
Qatar Airways Privilege Club is offering new members who register with the promo code JOIN2020:
- 2,500 bonus miles at the time of enrollment
- 5,000 bonus miles plus 50 Qpoints upon completion of their first Qatar Airways flight (this will be credited within 15 days of an eligible flight)
This is valid for sign-ups through September 30, 2020, and for travel completed by December 10, 2020.
Offer #2 — earn up to 10,000 bonus miles
Alternatively, Qatar Airways Privilege Club is offering new members who register with the promo code PREMIUM920:
- 5,000 bonus miles at the time of enrollment
- 5,000 bonus miles upon completion of their first Qatar Airways flight in first or business class (this will be credited within 15 days of an eligible flight)
This is valid for sign-ups through September 20, 2020, and for travel completed by June 30, 2021.
Which sign-up offer is better?
Which offer is better depends entirely on your Qatar Airways travel plans:
- If you don’t have any travel planned, then the offer that gives you 5,000 miles upfront is better
- If you are planning an economy flight in the coming months, and/or are going for status with Qatar Airways, then the offer that gives you up to 7,500 miles and 50 Qpoints is better
For context, here are the usual Qpoints requirements for various status levels:
As you can see, Silver status ordinarily requires 150 Qpoints.
For what it’s worth, Qatar Airways miles expire after three years of inactivity. As long as you have at least some account activity every three years, your miles won’t expire (this was a recent policy change for the better).
Receive bonus miles when you sign up for Privilege Club
Qatar Airways is offering 2,500-5,000 bonus miles to new members who register with one of the above promotions. Getting that many miles without any flying requirement is quite a good offer. Then you can earn a further 5,000 bonus miles, plus potentially some Qpoints, with flying.
While that is a good deal, keep in mind that Qatar Airways’ award redemption rates aren’t great, so even with this bonus, I generally think you’re better off crediting to another oneworld frequent flyer program instead.
Then again, getting 5,000 miles just for signing up is a solid offer.
Do any non-Privilege Club members plan to take advantage of this promotion?
(Tip of the hat to YHBU)