It’s fairly rare to see an airline loyalty program offer a compelling bonus for new members nowadays. One exception lately is Qatar Airways Privilege Club, which has pretty consistently offered bonuses for new members who register with a promotion code. At the moment new members even have their choice of two promotions. In this post I wanted to go over the details of the two promotions.
Earn 5,000 miles for joining Privilege Club
Qatar Airways Privilege Club is offering 5,000 bonus miles to new members:
- You must register with the promotion code FLYQR21
- You must enroll by May 31, 2022
- Members who join with the code will receive the 5,000 bonus miles without any flying or other activity requirement
This is definitely the better of the two offers if you don’t plan on taking a revenue flight with Qatar Airways anytime soon.
Earn up to 7,500 miles for joining Privilege Club
There’s a second offer for joining Qatar Airways Privilege Club, offering 2,500 bonus miles at the time of enrollment, plus 5,000 bonus miles and 50 Qpoints upon completing your first Qatar Airways flight:
- You must register with the promotion code OALSMH121
- You must enroll by September 30, 2021, and travel by December 31, 2021
- If you take a Qatar Airways flight, the 5,000 bonus miles and 50 Qpoints will post within 30 days
- Only paid travel on flights that are marketed and operated by Qatar Airways qualify for the additional bonus
This is the better of the two offers if you plan on taking a Qatar Airways flight before the end of the year and plan on crediting it to the Privilege Club program.
For context, here are the usual Qpoints requirements for various status levels, to give you a sense of how far 50 Qpoints will get you:
As you can see, Silver status ordinarily requires 150 Qpoints, so 50 Qpoints gets you a third of the way there.
Are these offers worth it?
Qatar Airways miles expire after three years of inactivity. In other words, the 2,500-5,000 bonus miles you get as part of the bonus won’t be expiring on you anytime soon, even with no upcoming flight on Qatar Airways.
While I enjoy flying Qatar Airways, historically the Privilege Club program hasn’t been at the top of my list of favorite frequent flyer programs. There have been better oneworld frequent flyer programs in terms of mileage opportunities and elite perks.
That being said:
- There’s no reason to turn down 5,000 bonus miles just for joining a program with no activity requirement, since you never know when they’ll come in handy
- This could be especially useful for those who also want to take part in Qatar Airways’ excellent new frequent flyer program for students, which requires being a member of the Privilege Club program
- In general the Privilege Club program is improving, and I’m cautiously optimistic that the program may become significantly better over time
Qatar Airways is offering two different promotions for new members. I’d say the better promotion for most offers 5,000 bonus miles with no activity requirement, which is awesome. Then there’s also an offer for up to 7,500 bonus miles plus up to 50 Qpoints if you complete a Qatar Airways flight before the end of the year.
These are solid offers, especially for those who could potentially benefit from Qatar Airways’ student frequent flyer program (which in and of itself is a reason to participate in Privilege Club).
Do any non-Privilege Club members plan to take advantage of these promotions?