While I can’t personally vouch for this, US Credit Card Guide and MilesTalk are both reporting about rumored changes that me be coming to the Citi Prestige Card. This is supposedly per a memo given directly to call center reps today. However, I haven’t been able to independently verify this, and I wouldn’t take it as fact just yet.
Citi stopped accepting applications for the Prestige Card a couple of months ago, as they said that they were working on refreshing the card with new benefits.
The current Citi Prestige Card benefits
The Citi Prestige Card currently has a $450 annual fee and offers:
- 3x points on airfare and hotels, and 2x points on dining and entertainment
- A $250 annual airline credit
- A Priority Pass membership
- A fourth night free hotel benefit that can be used an unlimited number of times
I value the $250 airline credit more or less at face value, so the way I view, it you’re paying $200 per year for the fourth night free benefit, which I consider to be the single best perk of any credit card. That’s well worth it to me.
Rumored new Citi Prestige Card benefits
So, what changes are rumored to be happening to this card?
- As of November 9, 2018, the card will offer 5x points on airfare and dining, 3x points on hotels and cruise lines, and 2x points on entertainment
- The card will offer a new cell phone protection benefit, though we’ll have to see what that looks like
- As of January 4, 2019, the card’s annual fee will be increased from $450 to $495
- The card’s $250 airline credit and Priority Pass membership will remain
- The fourth night free benefit will be limited to two uses per year, rather than being usable an unlimited number of times
My thoughts on these rumored changes
Obviously the fourth night free benefit being reduced from unlimited uses to just two uses per year is a big loss, though I also think it’s something that we all imagined would happen sooner rather than later. I doubt Citi is making money on those who use this card exclusively for the purpose of using this benefit constantly.
That being said, if this card does offer 5x points on airfare and dining, this will be a killer card. It would be insane to see credit cards get this generous, as it seems the issuers just keep topping one another when it comes to benefits.
So obviously it’s a mixed bag. Currently the Citi Prestige is a card I love for the fourth night free benefit. I’d still get value out of that if this changes, just not as much. But the addition of 5x points in some categories would be hugely beneficial as well.
What do you make of these rumored Citi Prestige changes?