As the year comes to a close, I thought it would be fun to look back at the past year on the blog, and highlight the most popular posts. While this site gets a lot of traffic, I spend a surprisingly limited amount of time focused on analytics. Sure, I try to do basic things that are good for SEO, but if you asked me how much traffic the site got in a particular month, I’d have to check the Google Analytics page.
The reason I don’t focus much on this stuff is because I prefer to focus on writing, and in particular focus on writing about what I enjoy. I write 50+ posts per week, week after week, and I’d be burned out by now if I weren’t writing about the things that I enjoy.
With that in mind, the most read posts aren’t necessarily the ones that I would consider the most useful. I’m often surprised by the things that others find interesting, because sometimes the things that end up being most popular are the posts that I don’t think much of.
With that in mind, below are the 18 posts that were read the most in 2018. Some of these posts were written in previous years, so next to each post I’ll put the year in which the post was published. In order of the amount of traffic received:
- Does Closing Credit Cards Hurt Your Credit Score? 
- Emirates Flight Attendant Jumps From Aircraft To Her Death 
- Ultimate Guide To The New Marriott & SPG Program 
- How To Get Between Terminals At LAX 
- My Second Case Of Credit Card Fraud This Month (And It’s Sort Of Creepy) 
- Uh Oh: Delta Introduces Basic Economy Award Tickets 
- Delta Is Letting You Pay To Secure Elite Status For 2019 
- Emirates Vs. Etihad Vs. Qatar – Who Has The Best Economy Class? 
- Uber Now Lets You Pay In Cash In Some Cities 
- Heartbreaking: United Kills Another Dog (This Time In The Cabin) 
- Everything You Need To Know About Getting An “SSSS” On Your Boarding Pass 
- American Airlines’ Secret Customer “Eagle Rating” 
- Lufthansa Is Launching The World’s Worst Flight 
- Angry Non-Rev Plans To Sue American Airlines 
- The World’s WORST First Class Airlines 
- American CEO Doug Parker Lost A Bet… BIG TIME 
- 5 Reasons I Love The Embraer 175 
- Chase May Have Just Expanded The 5/24 Rule 
My main takeaway is that the things that I enjoy writing about (trip reports, ways to earn and redeem miles, etc.) aren’t necessarily the things that the internet at large enjoys reading about. That won’t change the approach I take, though.
As always, thank you guys so much for reading. I’m incredibly fortunate to be able to do what I love every day and call it a job, even if it doesn’t feel like it. I owe that all to you guys. Here’s to a great 2019 filled with big credit welcome bonuses, mistake fares that are honored, and lots of great promotions.