Link: Apply now for the Aeroplan® Credit Card
A huge new welcome offer has just been rolled out on the Aeroplan® Credit Card. While the spending requirement is significant, it could be worth it, so let’s take a look at what you need to know.
In this post:
Aeroplan Credit Card 100K points welcome bonus
The Aeroplan® Credit Card is now offering a two-part welcome bonus of up to 100,000 Aeroplan bonus points, structured as follows:
- Earn 75,000 bonus points after spending $4,000 within the first three months
- Earn 25,000 bonus points after spending a total of $20,000 within the first 12 months
Personally, I value Aeroplan points at 1.5 cents each, so to me, this bonus is worth up to $1,500, which is an excellent bonus. There are a couple of things to note here:
- Even just the “base” bonus of 75K points after spending $4K represents a significant improvement, as previously the bonus was 50K points with a similar spending requirement
- Some might find it to be worthwhile to spend the extra $16,000 to earn 25,000 bonus Aeroplan points, as those points are in addition to the ones you usually earn for spending; personally I think the math checks out, assuming that spending wouldn’t otherwise be in some lucrative bonus category on another card
Chase’s standard application rules apply, including the 5/24 rule. This card isn’t available to those who currently have the card or who have had the card in the past, but eligibility is otherwise independent of whether or not you have any other Chase cards.
Why the Aeroplan Credit Card is worth getting
The $95 annual fee Aeroplan Credit Card is one of the most well thought out co-branded airline credit cards we’ve seen. There are significant incentives for holding onto the card, and also significant incentives for spending money on the card.
Among other things, the Aeroplan Credit Card offers the following:
- The card offers 3x Aeroplan points on dining, grocery stores, and on Air Canada spending, which are some lucrative bonus categories
- The card offers 500 bonus Aeroplan points for every $2,000 spent in a calendar month, up to 1,500 bonus Aeroplan points per month
- The card offers priority reward vouchers for reaching certain spending thresholds; for example, if you spend a million dollars on the card in a calendar year, you’ll get a companion voucher that lets you take a companion with you on award tickets at no extra cost (the points redeemed for them will be reimbursed, and this even works on partner airlines)
- The card offers Aeroplan Elite 25K status for the remainder of the first calendar year in which you get the card, plus the following calendar year; you can maintain that status by spending $15,000 on the card per year in subsequent years
- If you spend $50,000 on the card in a calendar year you’ll get a one-tier Aeroplan status upgrade, which could even be used to earn top-tier status with Air Canada
- If you have the card, you can redeem your points for 1.25 cents each toward virtually any travel purchase using the Pay Yourself Back feature; you can even transfer points from Chase Ultimate Rewards and use them that way
- The card offers a free first checked bag on Air Canada flights for the primary cardmember and up to eight other travelers on the same itinerary
- The card offers a $100 credit toward Global Entry, TSA PreCheck, or NEXUS, once every four years
- The card offers World Elite Mastercard benefits, plus travel protection for flight delays, baggage, and more
This really is an incredibly valuable card, especially given that it has such a reasonable annual fee. The card is worth considering even if you don’t fly Air Canada often.
Not only does Air Canada belong to the Star Alliance, but Aeroplan has more airline partners than any other frequent flyer program, so there are so many options for redeeming Aeroplan points. Furthermore, the unique Pay Yourself Back feature on this card makes this lucrative even for those who don’t want to redeem points on Aeroplan partners.
The Aeroplan Credit Card has a solid two-part welcome bonus of up to 100,000 Aeroplan points. This is a great offer for anyone who is eligible for the card but hasn’t yet applied. Those points can be redeemed on partner airlines for amazing first & business class redemptions, or 100,000 points can be used to pay for $1,250 worth of travel.
Do you plan on picking up the Aeroplan Credit Card, if you don’t have it already?