Update: This offer for the United℠ Explorer Business Card has expired. Learn more about the current offers here.
In mid-January, Chase and United Airlines launched the best ever public welcome offer on the United℠ Explorer Business Card. This offer is only available through tomorrow, March 18, 2019, so if you’ve been considering this card but haven’t yet applied, you’ll want to do so today.
United Explorer Business Card 75K welcome bonus
The United Explorer Business Card is offering a welcome bonus of 75,000 MileagePlus bonus miles after spending $5,000 within three months, which is a fantastic bonus. Personally I value United miles at ~1.4 cents each, so to me those miles are worth $1,050
On top of that, the card’s $95 annual fee is waived for the first year.
In terms of eligibility for the card, this card is subject to 5/24, meaning you typically won’t be approved if you’ve opened five or more new card accounts in the past 24 months. Furthermore, the bonus isn’t available to those who currently have the card, or those who have received a bonus on the card in the past 24 months.
75,000 MileagePlus miles is enough for a one-way business class ticket to Asia
Using United MileagePlus Miles
There are lots of fantastic ways to use United MileagePlus miles. You can redeem United miles for travel on United, or on any of their Star Alliance partners, with no surcharges (so you’ll just pay the taxes and fees).
A short economy flight could be as few as 8,000 miles, or you could build a more complex multi-city itinerary and take advantage of a free stopover with United’s “excursionist perk.”
Either way, you’ll want to make sure you’re selecting “saver” flights on united.com to make sure you’re getting the best deal.
Redeem United MileagePlus miles for ANA first class
United Explorer Business Card benefits
The United Explorer Business Card offers a variety of perks, including:
- A free first checked bag for the primary cardmember and one companion traveling on the same reservation, when the primary cardmember purchases the ticket with their card; this is up to a $120 value on a roundtrip ticket
- Priority boarding for the primary cardmember and companions on the same reservation
- Two anniversary United Club passes, which will be deposited into your MileagePlus account after opening, and each year for your cardmember anniversary; a day pass usually costs $50, so that’s up to a $100 value
- Premier upgrades on award tickets, as MileagePlus Premier members only receive complimentary upgrades on award tickets if they have a MileagePlus credit card
- Expanded award availability, which gives you access to more Everyday Award level tickets, with no blackout dates
I’d say those are some very well rounded perks. For many the United Club passes more than justify the annual fee. If you’re an elite member, then the complimentary upgrades on award tickets could be worth quite a bit, while if you’re a non-elite, the first checked bag free and priority boarding are valuable perks.
Two annual United Club passes is a nice perk
United Explorer Business Card bonus categories
In addition to the great perks and welcome bonus, the United Explorer Business Card offers 2x miles per dollar spent on United purchases, as well as 2x miles at restaurants, gas stations, and office supply stores.
While those aren’t the best bonus categories of any cards, they’re pretty good for an airline card.
Earn double miles for United purchases with the card
The United Explorer Business Card has a phenomenal welcome bonus that ends tomorrow. Based on my valuation of miles, I’d say the welcome bonus is worth over $1,000.
On top of that, this is a card that can be worth holding onto long term, for the United Club passes, priority boarding, free checked bags, and more. If you don’t yet have this card and are eligible, I’d highly recommend prioritizing it.