Update: This is to note that Marriott Bonvoy has closed its status challenge promotion, which was launched in its current form in August 2020. We knew this would be limited time, so this shouldn’t come as a huge surprise. Only time will tell if this is reintroduced at some point. You can find the original post about the offer below.
This year loyalty programs sure have started to compete for business. In August Marriott Bonvoy joined the list of hotel programs offering status challenges, and in this post I wanted to review how exactly this works.
Marriott Bonvoy’s limited-time status challenge
Marriott Bonvoy is offering a status challenge for elite members of Accor Live Limitless, Hilton Honors, IHG Rewards Club, and World of Hyatt.
This promotion is limited time, though the end date hasn’t been published. As Marriott describes it, it’s recommended to register sooner rather than later, because the number of registrations will determine how long the offer is available (however, it’s still available four months later, so I guess it wasn’t that limited time).
With this offer, members will immediately receive either Gold or Platinum Bonvoy status. In order to maintain status through February 2022, members have to stay the following number of eligible nights:
- In order to maintain Gold status, members have to stay five nights within 90 days
- In order to maintain Platinum status, members have to stay 15 nights within 90 days
For context, Gold status ordinarily requires 25 elite nights, while Platinum status ordinarily requires 50 elite nights. Unfortunately, the Platinum challenge requires three times as many nights, even though the status ordinarily only requires two times as many nights.
There are a few important details to note about the status challenge:
- You must be a Marriott Bonvoy member to register for the status challenge
- The 90-day period begins when the member’s status is upgraded, which will typically be within a few days of when the request is made
- To show status in a competing program you need to provide proof of at least one stay in the previous 12 months from the registration date
- If members complete the status challenge, it counts towards lifetime status
Bonvoy Platinum members may receive suite upgrades
Which Marriott Bonvoy elite tier are you eligible for?
Whether you’re eligible for the Gold or Platinum status challenge depends on your status in the competing program.
For Accor Live Limitless:
- Gold members can do a Gold challenge in the Bonvoy program
- Platinum and Diamond members can do a Platinum challenge in the Bonvoy program
For Hilton Honors:
- Gold and Diamond members can do a Platinum challenge in the Bonvoy program
For IHG Rewards Club:
- Platinum and Spire members can do a Platinum challenge in the Bonvoy program
For World of Hyatt:
- Explorist members can do a Gold challenge in the Bonvoy program
- Globalist members can do a Platinum challenge in the Bonvoy program
Keep in mind that eligibility is based on having a certain status and being able to prove a single stay. In other words, if you have Hilton Honors Diamond status through the Hilton Aspire Card but have completed one Hilton stay in the past 12 months, you’d be eligible for a Platinum challenge.
Bonvoy Platinum members receive breakfast at many brands
I’m happy to see Marriott Bonvoy offering a status challenge for Gold or Platinum status. This could be a useful opportunity if you have any upcoming Marriott stays, especially since you get the status upfront.
A couple of things I should mention, though:
- Platinum status will get you a lot more value than Gold status
- Personally, I have a hard time getting excited about the Bonvoy program right now, especially as Marriott has temporarily suspended elite guarantees, so your experience may be inconsistent (fortunately these have been reinstated as of early 2021)
Still, for some, this could be worthwhile.
Do you plan on taking advantage of a Marriott Bonvoy status challenge?