A couple of weeks ago Marriott Bonvoy revealed the details of their next global promotion. This promotion includes both one component that’s available to everyone, and then one component that’s targeted.
Anyway, this is a reminder that the Marriott “Unlock More” promo is valid for stays starting today, October 29, 2019. So make sure you’re registered, and if you’re making several stays, be on the look out for your targeted offer.
Here’s what you need to know about the promotion:
Marriott’s “Unlock More” Promotion
Marriott Bonvoy Unlock More is the Marriott Bonvoy program’s third-ever promotion.
With this promotion:
- Earn 2,000 Bonvoy bonus points after staying two times
- Two to three days after your second qualifying stay you’ll automatically unlock an additional offer; the details of this will appear in your online account, and you’ll receive an email about the offer
- The promotion is valid for stays between October 29, 2019, and January 14, 2020
- Registration is required by December 31, 2019
- All hotels globally are participating
St. Regis Bora Bora
This Is A Weak Promotion
This promotion isn’t very competitive. I value Marriott Bonvoy points at ~0.7 cents each, so to me 2,000 points are worth $14, and you earn those after two stays.
That’s all that’s published as part of this promotion so far, though there is more to it (as we’ll get into below).
While there is another aspect to the promotion, the targeted nature of it suggests we shouldn’t get too excited.
Why? Because if this was a promotion Marriott wanted people to get excited about, they’d make that aspect of the promotion public so that people have a reason to rebook stays at Marriotts. With what we know as of now, I don’t think anyone is thinking that.
This promotion is especially disappointing when you consider the great promotions being offered by Hilton, Hyatt, and IHG:
- Through January 5, 2020, Hilton Honors is offering double points on all stays, and triple points if you have a Hilton Honors credit card
- Through December 15, 2019, World of Hyatt is offering triple points on Hyatt Place stays, and double points on all other stays, starting with the second stay
- Through January 31, 2020, IHG Rewards Club is offering up to quadruple points on stays
Those are all excellent promotions. Meanwhile Marriott is offering a maximum of $14 of value after two stays based on the published promotion.
What Are The Offers You Can Unlock?
As you can see, with this promotion you unlock a second part of the offer after staying two times. So, what should we expect those offers to be? FlyerTalk member itisme has the details of what these offers allegedly are.
Note that we still don’t know who will be targeted for which offers, but rather just that these are allegedly the various offers available. So, what should we expect? Members will apparently be targeted for one of 12 offers:
- 4,000 bonus points after two additional stays
- 6,000 bonus points after three additional stays
- 8,000 bonus points after four additional stays
- 12,000 bonus points after five additional stays
- 15,000 bonus points after six additional stays
- Complete two additional stays for 2,000 bonus points, plus earn 2,000 additional bonus points after every two stays
- Complete four additional stays for 2,000 bonus points, plus earn 2,000 additional bonus points after every two stays
- Complete four additional stays for 2,500 bonus points, plus earn 2,500 additional bonus points after every two stays
- 5,000 bonus points after one additional stay
- 7,000 bonus points after one additional stay
- 10,000 bonus points after one additional stay
- 20,000 bonus points after one additional stay
Again, presumably each member would only be targeted for one of those offers, and there’s no way to know which one you’ll be targeted for. Earning 20,000 bonus points after one stay is of course awesome for the infrequent Marriott guest, while only having the potential to earn an additional 5,000 bonus points during the entire promotion is a lot less exciting.
I would expect that these promotion is designed to generate incremental business, so chances are that frequent guests would get the offers with higher thresholds.
Marriott Sometimes Has Targeted Promotions
Note that in addition to Marriott’s global promotion, Marriott is also offering some targeted promotions. Just log into your Marriott Bonvoy account and go to the “promotions” section to see if you’re eligible for anything.
For example, over the summer I was targeted for a double elite nights promotion for paid stays, though that promotion has expired. I know others have seen new offers since then.
You can start taking advantage of Marriott’s “Unlock More” promotion for stays starting today. Unfortunately the promotion isn’t much to get excited about — you’ll earn 2,000 bonus points after two stays, and then you’ll have the opportunity to unlock a further offer. Even most of the promotions that can be unlocked aren’t worth getting excited about.
What an all around disappointing promotion, especially since it comes at a time where Hilton, Hyatt, and IHG are offering great promos.
But I guess that’s not a huge surprise, since Marriott doesn’t feel much of a need to compete on the loyalty program front due to their global footprint.
What do you make of the Marriott Bonvoy “Unlock More” promo?