Hilton Honors has been doing a great job throughout the pandemic with engaging members, and that trend is continuing, as the loyalty program has a nice holiday gift for Diamond members. While we first learned that this off was coming a few days ago, the offer is now “live” for some members.
Hilton Diamond members can gift status
Hilton Honors is extending a one-time opportunity for all current Hilton Honors Diamond members to gift status to someone else, regardless of their stay activity this year:
- Lifetime Diamond members can gift Hilton Honors Diamond status
- Other Diamond members can gift Hilton Honors Gold status
While the ability for Hilton Honors Diamond members to gift status is nothing new, in the past it has required staying a certain number of elite nights. Ordinarily:
- Diamond members can gift someone else Gold status if they earn 60 elite nights in a year
- Diamond members can gift someone else Diamond status if they stay 100 elite nights in a year
Here are the basic things to be aware of with this promotion:
- Members are able to gift status to a friend or family member for one year
- If you earn 60 or 100 elite nights in a year then you’re still able to gift status through that; this is incremental
Hilton Honors Diamond members can gift status to others
How do you gift Hilton Honors status?
Hilton Honors Diamond members should keep an eye out on their email, as Hilton is in the process of sending out codes. A specific code is needed to gift status to someone else, and then you need to go to one of the following links to actually gift status:
- Link to gift Hilton Honors Diamond status (for lifetime Diamond members)
- Link to gift Hilton Honors Gold status (for other Diamond members)
A code has to be entered there, and then you can go through the process of upgrading status. Note that not all invitations have gone out yet, so you’ll want to check your email over the coming hours and days if you haven’t received the invitation already. There’s no way to otherwise access this code through your account, best I can tell.
Yes, this even applies to credit card status
If you’re like me and earn Hilton Honors status simply by having the Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card (review), then you’re still eligible for this. I love that the card gives you Diamond status just for having it, and now I can make someone else’s travels in 2021 better as well.
Though the truth is that Hilton makes it fairly easy to earn elite status anyway. Hilton offers status through a variety of credit cards, and in particular it’s quite easy to earn Hilton Honors Gold status just for having credit cards. Still, I’ll take it!
Hilton Honors Gold & Diamond members receive a breakfast benefit
Hilton Honors is letting Diamond members give a friend or family status. That’s a nice offer, and also a smart marketing technique — travel will obviously be down over the next year, and someone else newly having status with the Honors program may encourage them to choose Hilton over a competitor.