There’s a new transfer bonus for Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer, which could be worthwhile, especially when stacked with another offer.
In this post:
Amex to KrisFlyer 20% transfer bonus
The US American Express Membership Rewards program seems to be offering a 20% bonus when you transfer points to Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer. That means that Amex points transfer to KrisFlyer at a 1,000:1,200 ratio.
- This promotion may be targeted, though it at least seems to be pretty widely targeted
- There’s no published end date for the offer, and it’s noted that “if you return to redeem points later, this offer may no longer be available”
I wouldn’t be surprised to see this offer available until the end of the year, but we certainly can’t count on it. I’d recommend taking advantage of this sooner rather than later if interested.
There are lots of great cards earning Amex Membership Rewards points, so I imagine this offer could be interesting to many. Amex Membership points transfers to Singapore KrisFlyer generally aren’t instant, and can take up to two days.
Stack this with KrisFlyer Star Alliance Gold promotion
The Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer program is running another lucrative promotion, and the two offers can be stacked. Through February 28, 2022, you can earn KrisFlyer Elite Gold status if you transfer 250,000 points to the KrisFlyer program from a partner.
This unlocks Star Alliance Gold status, which offers perks across Star Alliance airlines, including priority check-in, lounge access, priority boarding, and much more. Being able to earn a 20% bonus on points transfers, plus getting Star Alliance Gold status, is a pretty awesome combo.
Should you transfer points to Singapore KrisFlyer?
There are three major reasons to consider taking advantage of this promotion:
- Bonuses like this have historically been rare; we’ve seen transfer bonuses a couple of times in recent months, but pre-pandemic we just about never saw a bonus from a transferable points currency
- Not only is there a transfer bonus, but you can stack this with a promotion that will earn you Star Alliance Gold status
- Singapore Airlines primarily restricts premium cabin long haul award space to members of its own KrisFlyer program, so if you want to redeem for these products, this is your best bet
That being said, there are also reasons not to take advantage of this promotion:
- While Singapore is starting to reopen with the “Vaccinated Travel Lane” concept, that’s still a long shot from a full reopening, and it’s anyone’s guess when Singapore will open on a more flexible basis
- Historically KrisFlyer miles expire 36 months after they’re earned, regardless of any qualifying activity, so you can’t just keep these miles forever
- The beauty of transferable points currencies is the flexibility that they offer you, and you lose all that flexibility when you transfer them to one particular partner
Personally I think this promotion is pretty tempting, especially as it comes at a time when global travel is slowly starting to open up again, and on top of that there are two offers to stack here. Getting a 20% bonus plus Star Alliance Gold status could represent a great deal.
Amex Membership Rewards is offering a 20% bonus when you convert points into Singapore KrisFlyer miles. There’s no published end date, and it’s possible this offer is targeted, though it’s at least pretty widely targeted. This is potentially a valuable opportunity, especially when you consider the separate promotion that offers Star Alliance Gold status if you transfer 250,000 points.
Are you taking advantage of this Amex to KrisFlyer transfer bonus?