These are some of the best Qatar Airways business class fares I’ve seen from the United States in quite a while, and one fare is even to a destination that’s very popular with visitors right now.
Save $550 on Qatar Airways business class tickets
Alaska Airlines and Qatar Airways have a fairly new partnership, and to celebrate that, they’re offering a discount for Alaska Mileage Plan members by using promotion code MPMEMBERS:
- You can save $125 on a Qatar Airways roundtrip economy ticket and $550 on a roundtrip Qatar Airways business class (one-ways receive half the discounts)
- This is valid for flights booked by July 11, 2021, and for travel through July 11, 2022
- This is valid for all Qatar Airways itineraries originating in the United States
- You must book directly through Qatar Airways’ website to take advantage of this offer
- The terms indicate that this should work with all published fares, but it seems like some business class “Classic” fares aren’t applying this promo code
- Even though this promotion code is through Alaska Airlines, I don’t see any requirement to actually credit your flight to Alaska Mileage Plan
$550 off a roundtrip business class ticket represents significant savings. However, it’s more valuable when a fare is ~$2,500 to begin with, rather than $4,000+. Fortunately there are some good fares available right now.
Combine this with great Qatar Airways fares
There are several attractive Qatar Airways business class fares valid for travel originating in the United States right now, and you can save $550 on most of them. Among other fares, here are the published fares we’re seeing, pre-discount:
- Roundtrip business class from Houston to Delhi for $2,150
- Roundtrip business class from Miami to Zanzibar for $2,250
- Roundtrip business class from Seattle to Athens for $2,550
- Roundtrip business class from Miami to Cape Town for $2,730
- Roundtrip business class from New York to Johannesburg for $2,900
I’m having issues applying the promo code to the Zanzibar fare, though am having no issues with the promo code for Athens, Cape Town, Delhi, and Johannesburg, and those have the potential to be great deals.
In particular, a roundtrip business class ticket from Seattle to Athens via Doha pricing at under $2,000 is pretty awesome.
That Athens fare will likely be particularly interesting to people, given that Greece is open to visitors from the United States, and is a very popular destination right now. Of course it goes without saying that there are more direct ways to fly to Athens, so this is only for someone who loves flying and/or is looking to earn miles.
Also keep in mind that Qatar’s borders are closed, so you’ll be restricted to staying airside, even during long layovers (fortunately there’s a solid transit hotel, and the Qatar Airways Al Safwa Lounge has beds).
These are also Qatar Airways’ “basic” business class fares, so they don’t come with advance seat assignments or lounge access. However, if you have oneworld elite status you can still assign seats in advance, and potentially get lounge access during your journey.
Fortunately Qatar Airways Qsuites is one of the best business class products in the world, so this is a heck of a way to fly.
How many miles can you earn with these fares?
You can earn a lot of miles with these fares. Generally I’d say your best bet is to credit these flights either to Alaska Mileage Plan or American AAdvantage.
Here’s the Alaska Mileage Plan earnings chart for travel on Qatar Airways:
Alaska Mileage Plan members earn 125% elite qualifying miles and 225% redeemable miles for travel on Qatar Airways, not including any elite bonuses.
Here’s the American AAdvantage earnings chart for travel on Qatar Airways:
AAdvantage members earn 150% elite qualifying and redeemable miles, plus elite qualifying dollars equivalent to 20% of the distance flown. AAdvantage elite bonuses apply to the redeemable miles earned.
All else being equal, you’re probably better off crediting to Alaska Mileage Plan, given that you earn significantly more redeemable miles.
Qatar Airways has some solid business class fares to begin with, and these can be lowered by $550 roundtrip using the MPMEMBERS promotion code. In particular, being able to fly roundtrip business class from Seattle to Athens for under $2,000 is an exceptional deal. Travel with this fare is available as early as July, so you could still plan a summer getaway this way.
Anyone planning on taking advantage of one of these fares, or see similarly good fares in another market?