A couple of weeks ago Marriott Bonvoy revealed the details of its first global promotion of 2022, offering bonus points and bonus elite nights for every night you stay. This is a reminder that this promotion is live for stays as of today.
Register now for Marriott Bonvoy’s 2022 promotion
Bonvoy members can register for Marriott’s global promotion, offering 1,000 bonus points plus one bonus elite credit for each paid night stayed:
- The promotion is valid for stays between February 8 and May 4, 2022, regardless of when they’re booked
- Registration is required prior to your first eligible stay, and registration closes on April 20, 2022
- The promotion kicks in starting with your first stay
- Only paid stays qualify toward this promotion, so award stays don’t qualify
- Bonus points and bonus elite nights will post within seven business days of checking out of a hotel
- There’s no limit to how many bonus points or bonus elite nights you can earn
- All hotels globally are participating, and there’s no minimum length of stay required to unlock the bonus
How valuable is this Marriott Bonvoy promotion?
While I wouldn’t say this is the most exciting promotion ever, it’s still pretty decent:
- I value Marriott Bonvoy points at 0.7 cents each, so to me 1,000 points offer an incremental $7 nightly return
- It’s hard to put a value to the double elite nights component of the promotion, since it all depends on what status you’re going for
- I’m happy to see that the offer kicks in starting with the first stay, and that there are no caps
1,000 bonus points per night is decent if you’re staying at an inexpensive Marriott property, while it’s significantly less rewarding at pricier properties. The double elite nights should help people to maintain status this year, though it’s also hard to get excited about that in comparison to Marriott just giving members elite nights equal to 50% of their status for the past two years.
Normal Marriott Bonvoy points earning rates
Not factoring in this promotion, Marriott Bonvoy members ordinarily earn:
- 10x Bonvoy points per dollar spent at most brands
- 5x Bonvoy points per dollar spent at Element, Residence Inn, and TownePlace Suites
Then there are elite bonuses:
- Silver Elite members earn 10% bonus points
- Gold Elite members earn 25% bonus points
- Platinum Elite members earn 50% bonus points
- Titanium Elite & Ambassador Elite members earn 75% bonus points
The above doesn’t include the points you can earn for credit card spending at hotels:
- You can earn up to 6x Bonvoy points per dollar spent on most co-branded Marriott cards, including the the Marriott Bonvoy Business™ American Express® Card (review) and Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card (review); on top of that there’s a discount on Marriott stays through Amex Offers
- Otherwise, you can earn up to 3x transferable points on hotel spending (with Amex Membership Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards, or Citi ThankYou)
As a Titanium member with a co-branded credit card, I ordinarily earn 23.5x Bonvoy points per dollar spent. At a valuation of 0.7 cents per point, that’s like a ~16% return on hotel spending.
Marriott Bonvoy has launched its newest global promotion, which members need to register for. With this promo, members earn 1,000 bonus points plus one bonus elite night for every paid stay consumed during the promotion period.
This is a pretty solid promotion in terms of the bonus points it offers, and it should also help members to requalify for status this year.
What do you make of Marriott Bonvoy’s global promotion?