The Chase Freedom FlexSM Credit Card (review) is a fantastic no annual fee credit card that can earn you cash back or Ultimate Rewards points. The card offers 5x points in rotating quarterly categories, and 3x points on dining and drugstores. Chase has now rolled out an awesome new promotion on the card, which can be stacked for an amazing return on spending.
Chase Freedom offers 5x points in biggest spending category
In the fourth quarter of 2021, the Chase Freedom Flex is offering 5x points in your top spending category. You’ll earn 5x points (or 5% cash back) in the eligible rewards category in which you spend the most through the end of the year:
- This is valid for purchases between October 1 and December 31, 2021
- You can earn the 5x points on at most $1,500 worth of spending
- This only applies on the Chase Freedom Flex, and not the Chase Freedom Unlimited® (review), or the “old” Chase Freedom
- There’s no registration required, but rather this bonus will be earned automatically
- Eligible rewards categories include travel (including transit), dining, home improvement stores, select streaming services, select live entertainment, gas stations, drugstores, fitness clubs, grocery stores (not including Target and Walmart); only the one category in which you spend the most will qualify
Admittedly the rollout around this offer is a bit unusual. We’re three weeks into the fourth quarter, and I just received communication about this from a Chase representative. Furthermore, there’s not actually a live promotion page, other than the FAQs page for the offer.
Stack this with Chase Freedom Q4 5x points categories
You can potentially stack these offers, to earn a total of 9x points (each of these offers is for 4x bonus points, in addition to the 1x points you usually earn, for a total of 9x points). However, taking advantage of that is a bit nuanced:
- This wouldn’t work at Walmart, since Walmart isn’t an eligible rewards category for the top spending category promotion (the grocery stores category excludes Target and Walmart)
- This could work with PayPal — you’d need to make a purchase through PayPal in an eligible top spending category
In other words, you could earn 9x points when making a purchase through PayPal with a merchant that falls in the travel, dining, home improvement, streaming services, live entertainment, gas station, drugstore, fitness club, or grocery store category, assuming that’s also the category in which you spend the most on the card this quarter.
Any OMAAT readers have any creative ideas here for maximizing this? Maybe there are some airlines or hotels that let you pay with PayPal, so that you can qualify for the PayPal category, as well as the top spending category bonus? Or perhaps there’s some value in making purchases through online grocery stores? Hmmm…
While the rollout of this promotion is strange, the Chase Freedom Flex is offering 5x points in the eligible category that you spend the most in for the fourth quarter, on up to $1,500 of spending. This stacks with the card’s fourth quarter 5x points category, valid for up to $1,500 of spending at PayPal and Walmart.
If you can find an eligible merchant that allows purchases through PayPal, you could stack the offers and earn up to 9x points, which would be awesome.
Do you plan on taking advantage of this new promotion on the Chase Freedom Flex?