Chase Ink Car Rental Coverage: Everything You Need To Know

Filed Under: Business, Chase
In the interest of full disclosure, OMAAT earns a referral bonus for anyone that’s approved through some of the below links. These are the best publicly available offers that we have found for each card. Opinions expressed here are the author's alone, not those of the bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities. Please check out my advertiser policy for further details about our partners, and thanks for your support!

Chase has one of the best portfolios of business credit cards, which offer just about everything I look for in credit cards — great welcome bonuses, big spend category bonuses, and useful perks.

In this post I wanted to specifically focus on one aspect of the cards that’s especially generous, though first let’s talk a bit about the cards in general.

The Ink small business cards have great welcome bonuses

These three cards offer the following welcome bonuses:

These are among the best bonuses we’ve seen. I consider the 80,000 point welcome bonus on the Ink Preferred to be the single best welcome bonus out there right now (I value 80,000 Ultimate Rewards points at $1,360), while I consider the 50,000 point welcome bonuses on the Ink Cash and Ink Unlimited to be the best bonuses right now on no annual fee cards.

Best of all, you’re potentially eligible for all three of the cards. For example, I have all three of these cards at this point, as I’ve had the Ink Cash for years, while I’ve acquired the Ink Preferred and Ink Unlimited in the past few months.

The Chase Ink Cards offer bonus points in a variety of categories

Not only do the cards have great welcome bonuses, but they have some of the best bonus categories of any business cards, as I covered in a post yesterday:

  • The Ink Business Preferred℠ Credit Card offers 3x points on the first $150,000 of combined purchases per cardmember year on travel, shipping purchases, internet, cable, phone services, and advertising purchases made with social media sites and search engines
  • The Ink Business Cash℠ Credit Card offers 5x points on the first $25,000 of combined purchases per cardmember year on office supply stores, internet, cable TV, mobile phones, and landlines, and 2x points on the first $25,000 of combined purchases per cardmember year on restaurants and gas stations
  • The Ink Business Unlimited℠ Credit Card offers 1.5x points on all purchases

Since you can get multiple of these cards (and only one card has an annual fee), this is potentially a way to stack several great bonus categories to earn 1.5-5x points per dollar spent.

All three Chase Ink Cards offer the same car rental coverage

Hopefully the above demonstrates how great the welcome bonuses and bonus categories on these cards are. In this post I wanted to focus on one of the most useful perks offered by all three of these cards.

One common credit card benefit that people look for is auto rental CDW (collision damage waiver). What’s pretty remarkable is that the Ink Business PreferredInk Business Cash, and Ink Business Unlimited all offer primary car rental coverage.

Getting this level of coverage from a no annual fee card is rare, so I think the Ink Cash and Ink Unlimited are excellent options for anyone who wants a no annual fee business card that offers solid car rental coverage.

It’s worth understanding that auto CDW is different from car rental insurance. CDW provides reimbursement for damages due to collision or theft up to the actual cash value of most rental vehicles. This includes physical damage and/or theft of covered rental vehicles, loss-of-use charges assessed by the rental company while the damaged vehicle is being repaired, and reasonable towing charges related to a covered loss.

This policy doesn’t cover any injuries or damage to other cars, so this isn’t the same thing as having a rental car insurance policy (which is something that virtually no card offers).

The Chase Ink Cards offer primary car rental coverage

The Chase Ink Cards offer primary coverage when renting for business purposes, which means you don’t have to file a claim with any other source of insurance before you can receive coverage under this benefit.

Furthermore, the cards also offer primary coverage if renting outside your country of residence for personal reasons, or if you don’t have automobile insurance.

The only time that coverage would be secondary is if you’re renting in your country of residence for personal reasons and have automobile insurance, in which case the coverage only supplements insurance or reimbursement from any other sources.

How to make sure you’re eligible for Chase Ink Card car rental coverage

In order to be eligible for this benefit, you need to initiate and complete the entire rental transaction using your card that is eligible for the benefit, and you need to decline the rental company’s collision damage waiver or similar provision. If you were to accept the waiver offered by the rental company, you would not be eligible for this benefit.

It’s also worth emphasizing once again that in order to get primary coverage you need to either be renting for business reasons (anywhere globally), or renting outside your country of residence for personal reasons, or not have automobile insurance.

When and where you are covered with Chase Ink Card car rental coverage

Cardmembers who are also the primary person listed on the rental agreement are entitled to this benefit, along with any additional drivers permitted to drive, according to the rental agreement.

The benefits are only valid for rentals of up to 31 days, and certain types of cars are excluded, including expensive, exotic, and antique automobiles, certain vans, vehicles that have an open cargo bed, trucks, motorcycles, mopeds, motorbikes, limousines, and recreational vehicles.

How to file a Chase Ink Card car rental claim

After an incident has occurred, you’ll want to contact the benefit administrator, which you can do by dialing the number on the back of your card, and they can connect you.

Incidents should be reported as soon as possible, though must be reported no later than 60 days following the date of the incident. You’ll then have to submit quite a bit of paperwork, including the following (in this case I’ll just copy and paste the guide to benefits):

  • The completed and signed Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver Claim Form: Your completed claim form must be postmarked within one hundred (100) days of the date of theft or damage, even if all other required documentation is not yet available. If your claim form is not postmarked within this time frame, your claim may be denied.
  • A copy of your receipt or monthly billing statement showing that the entire vehicle rental was charged to and paid for with your eligible card.
  • A written confirmation from your employer that the rental was primarily for business purposes.
  • If the rental was for personal use, enclose a statement from your insurance carrier showing the costs for which you are responsible and any amounts that have been paid toward the claim. Or, if you have no applicable insurance, please provide a notarized statement to that effect.
  • A copy of the declaration page from your primary automobile insurance carrier if the rental was for personal use.

Also, enclose all the documents you received from the car rental company. You should ask the rental company for these documents immediately at the time of the theft or damage or when you return the vehicle to the company:

  • A copy of the Accident Report Form and claim document: this should indicate the costs you are responsible for and any amounts that have been paid toward the claim.
  • A copy of the entire auto rental agreement(s)
  • A copy of the repair estimate or itemized repair bill
  • Two (2) photographs of the damaged vehicle, if available
  • A police report, if obtainable
  • Any other documentation deemed necessary, in the Benefit Administrator’s sole discretion, to substantiate the claim

Once the documents are submitted, you’ll typically be paid within 15 days.

Bottom line

The car rental coverage offered by the Ink Business PreferredInk Business Cash, and Ink Business Unlimited, is among the best you’ll see on any business card. It’s especially noteworthy on the two no annual fee cards, since it’s rare you see such a benefit on a no annual fee card. Best of all, this benefit doesn’t just cover business rentals, but also covers personal rentals when outside your country of residence.

You’ll want to consult your cardmember agreement if you’re thinking of using this benefit, so you can be sure you know every little detail, and also since these benefits are always subject to change.

Regarding Comments: The comments on this page have not been provided, reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any advertiser, and it is not an advertiser's responsibility to ensure posts and/or questions are answered.
  1. Does renting a car to travel to and from my client count as business? The sole purpose is for transportation. This seems to be a mixed bag since I’m not doing business with the car itself like carrying passengers or cargo.

  2. The Chase coverage is providing similar coverage to CDW or LDW offered by car rental companies, and maybe filling in some gaps such as Loss of Use too. Liability insurance is often covered by your own car insurance for U.S. policyholders renting in the U.S. or locally mandated minimum coverage that is built into the rental cost. However, if you have no car insurance or other third-party liability coverage you should look into buying a separate travel liability policy or take advantage of the car rental company’s coverage (called LIS I think). As readers in the U.S. know claims for liability due to injury, death, property damage can be very high. Imagine if you ran your rental car into a $100k+ Tesla – Chase doesn’t cover that. Also, do your homework for international rentals since not all countries have mandatory liability coverage. Finally, if you have car and/or home insurance consider getting an umbrella liability policy to extend your coverage further to protect any assets you may have.

  3. I wish it were as simple as you make it sound for getting Chase’s insurance company to ante up. We had a crack in the grill on the car and were charged roughly $125 to repair it. The insurance company insists on a cost matrix in addition to the documents you name. We have called and emailed Budget Car Rental (Belgrade) multiple times. It’s been 3 months now and we do not have the necessary paperwork for eclaims to process the claim. Fortunately, it is a modest amount of money but it is not a promising indicator of what would happen should we have a more substantial claim.

  4. What exactly are shipping purchases? USPS? FedEx Ground? Home? International? Duties, VAT, Taxes imposed by FedEx? UPS? ShipStation? ShipRush?

  5. “A written confirmation from your employer that the rental was primarily for business purposes”… I run solo business, how can I proof that? Am I going to written confirmation for myself?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *