6-Day Transit Without Visa Now Allowed In Beijing

Filed Under: Travel

For several years China has offered a 72 hour transit without visa program, where you can transit select cities in China for up to 72 hours without requiring a visa. The catch is that you need to be in transit between two countries, meaning you need to be arriving from one country and continuing to another country (in other words, flying from the US to Shanghai and then back to the US two days later wouldn’t qualify for the transit without visa, since you’re not in transit).

China realized how beneficial this policy was to tourism, so in late 2015 they announced that they’d introduce a 144 hour (six day) transit without visa program. This was introduced in January 2016 in Shanghai, Hangzhou, and Nanjing. At the time we hoped this would eventually be expanded to other cities as well, though it took a while for that to happen.

China is now allowing a six day transit without visa at six more points of entry, including Beijing Capital International Airport, Beijing’s West Railway Station, Tianjin Binhai International Airport, Tianjin International Cruise Home Port, Shijiazhuang Zhengding International Airport, and Qinhuangdao Port.

Citizens of the following 53 countries are eligible for the 144 hour transit without visa:

Schengen Countries: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland

Other European Countries: Russia, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Cyprus, Bulgaria, Romania, Ukraine, Serbia, Croatia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Montenegro, Macedonia (FYROM), Albania, Belarus, Monaco

America: US, Canada, Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, Chile

Oceania: Australia, New Zealand

Asia: Republic of Korea, Japan, Singapore, Brunei, UAE, Qatar

Much like the 72 hour transit without visa, I want to once again emphasize that this is only valid if you’re connecting in China between two other countries. It’s fine for the flights to be on separate tickets, as long as you’re flying into China nonstop from one country, and connecting nonstop internationally out of an eligible airport to another country.

Beijing Capital Airport

Fortunately the transit without visa feature is a bit less valuable than in the past, given that China now offers US passport holders 10 year visas. Previously they had single entry and one year visas, so it’s much more practical to get one visa and be able to enter China as often as you’d like for 10 years. If you don’t want to go to the consulate directly, I recommend using Allied Passport, which offers a $5 discount to readers of One Mile at a Time.

Bottom line

It’s great to see China further expand their 144 hour transit without visa program. A transit without visa can be a fantastic option if you’re looking to visit China without a visa, assuming you’re traveling between two different countries. Personally I haven’t had to take advantage of China’s transit without visa program lately, since I have a 10 year visa.

Maybe next China can eliminate their visa requirements altogether, or at least introduce e-visas.

Have you used China’s transit without visa policy lately? What was your experience like?

(Tip of the hat to View from the Wing)

  1. Iv used the 72 hour transit visa in PEK without an issue other then convincing the person at the check in desk in the USA that I don’t need a visa.
    (Route: DTW-PEK PEK-KUL)

  2. Going to China for the first time in February. Used Allied to get my 10 year visa based on recommendation of OMAAT and TPG and they were awesome.

  3. Fortunately the transit without visa feature is a bit less valuable – FOR US PASSPORT HOLDERS -than in the past, given that China now offers US passport holders 10 year visas –

  4. Ben,

    You don’t state that these transit visas only allow you to stay within the city of arrival only. You can’t travel outside of that city or to other Chinese cities.

    Hotels occasionally check your entry stamp on the Chinese visa when you check in.

  5. Recently used the 144 hour transit visa (on a German passport) for a work trip to Shanghai – flew in from BKK with TG, out to Seoul with Asiana 5 days later.
    Getting the visa at Pudong airport wasn’t an issue, the whole process took about 45 minutes.

    Short breakdown of my experience:

    There were two officers manning a desk each (at the far left of the immigration area, follow the signs “144 hour transit visa” upon entering immigration area).

    One officer took care of people in transit (flight out same day) and 72 hour transit visa, the other processed the 144 hour transit visas.
    The whole process worked out ok, though took longer than expected (I did the 72 transit option two years ago, was a lot smoother then than this time).
    There was about a line of 10 people, each took about 5-10min to process, depending if children were also processed.
    Surely don’t want to go through this process if the lineup is 20+ deep and only two officers present!

  6. @Sanne the immigration officers in China would be happy for you to have such an itinerary. The issue you might have is convincing the check in staff at the departure point that you’re flying from Amsterdam to Frankfurt via Beijing for it to count as a transit

  7. We just did this in Chongqing. Wow, what a faff. Had no issue with the transit Visa in Shanghai, Beijing was a ‘wait’ but CKG almost seemed as if they had no idea of what it was. Obviously, the Transit Visa desk, signs in English and all in the brand new Terminal was empty and it took over an hour and we were the only people in the queue…

    …roll on e-visas

  8. I recently used the 144h twov in Shanghai coming from Tokyo and continuing onto Seoul. Was a fairly straightforward process. I think I helped matters by coming to the immigration desk prepared with printed copies of my hostel booking confirmation in mandarin, my e-ticket for my outbound flight from China on Korean Air and filled out the separate arrival card specific to the 144H Transit (the blue card you’ll receive when arriving at the immigration desk which is different from the yellow arrival card you have to fill out on the plane and also hand over)

  9. Used TWOV twice about 18 months ago, once for Hong Kong-shanghai-japan and once for Japan Beijing (supposed to be) USA. First one went pretty well, although we didn’t realize that our docs would be scrutinized for adherence to the restrictions at the ferry from Macau to Hong Kong airport, so nearly missed our ferry. Second one went fine on the way in, but pretty badly on the way out of Beijing because AA cancelled our flight, so we had to extend our stay beyond our visa free period. We ended up spending about 3 hours in exit immigration while various people talked to AA people to confirm (repeatedly) that our flight was indeed cancelled. I had a feeling that there was going to be a problem when the immigration person who let us “back into China” had a smirk on his face when he cancelled the first days exit stamp.

  10. Hello,
    As Lucky has mentioned in previous posts, Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan are considered as “other countries” for this visa-waiver policy.
    So for a journey USA-Beijing-HK, you can stay in Beijing for up to 6 days without any visa.

  11. We used the 72 hour option in Beijing (PEK) two weeks ago and suffered through a wait time six (yes: SIX!) hours, queuing from about 6:30am to 12:30pm.

    At first one counter, later two, for a queue of perhaps 200 people; and that queue even slowly grew over time.

    (Once we made it to the top of the queue, the process was smooth, and with the visum in the passport, immigration was a breeze.)

  12. I’ve used transit visa to visit Shanghai twice in the past, when it was still limited to 72 hrs. The first time I was unlucky enough to land at PVG when they had staff shift change. It took me one hour to clear immigration. It was much smoother the second time around. Two things to note:
    – it’s my understanding the day you land is not counted towards the time limit; the clock starts ticking from midnight only, so you will have almost seven full days, if you land in early morning;
    – have a transit visa rules from an official source printed in hard copy in case the agent at the departing airport is unfamiliar with it; it helped me when taking KMQ-PVG flight, when I was the only non-Chinese/Japanese passenger on board

  13. If China really saw the benefits of tourism they would just open up short term tourist visas on arrival instead of all the games with “in transit” IMHO.

  14. Why don’t they get rid of all visas completely? Who would want to linger indefinitely in that country anyway?

  15. A word of warning: my wife and I tried to take advantage of the 72 hour TWOV in November, right before Thanksgiving. We were arriving from Dubai and flying out to Tokyo 3 days later. We both have US passports, had printed itineraries with our flights and hotel. We’ve traveled a ton, and figured we’d have no problem. We get up to the TWOV desk, and everything seems smooth until the guard starts flipping through my wife’s passport. He flips, and flips, and flips … for about 15 minutes. Then he makes a call. Another guard shows up. Now they start flipping through both of our passports Another 15 minutes passes, and they’ve said nothing to us. The line is now two dozen people long behind us. Finally, the guard asks me, “Why did you go to Turkey so much?” I explained that I’d lived there for 3 years and worked as an editor. My wife came to visit me. He says, “I will call my leader.”

    At this point, we’re obviously concerned. We have no idea what’s going on, no one will answer our questions, the line behind us is growing disgruntled. An officious man on a Segway shows up. 20 minutes more of flipping – 1 hour! – and he asks, “Where were you on May 20th, 2015?” I told him: Missouri. He motions for us to follow him. We do, and he takes us to the main immigration desk. He seems to be opening it to let us in, when another guard comes over. He takes our passports. 10 minutes of flipping. Another question about Turkey. 10 minutes more of flipping, and then, “We’re sorry. We’re denying you entry. You need to leave now.”

    The transit ticket desk was closed. There was no WiFi. We waited until an Emirates employee showed up, and he finally set up a hot spot for us. We were able to change our flight to Tokyo to the following morning (it was 6 PM by this point). He then had to verify with the government that this was okay. We waited for 2 hours – with no Wifi, nowhere to go, and no passports – until he told us that would be okay. But until we left, the government would keep our passports and we’d be under guarded watch. We spent a cold, uncertain night sleeping on the terminal (the Emirates employee, who was great, got us 3 hours of lounge access during dinner time). It all worked out in the end – we were so peeved, we didn’t want to stay; we got our passports back once we took our seats on our JAL flight the following morning. But we were never given a clear answer why we were denied access – the closest we got was a shrug and “No real reason,” from the Emirates employee. So, if you’ve traveled at all in the Middle East, be aware – you might get turned away.

  16. Just wanted to let you know I’ve gotten 10-year Chinese visas for myself, my wife, and my Godson in the last few months and Allied Passport was fantastic! Process was easy and VERY fast. Thanks for the outstanding recommendation.

  17. @Hoosier

    There is a big difference between the Middle East and Asia. Your problem was in Beijing, China, Asia, no?

  18. “this is only valid if you’re connecting in China between two other countries. ”

    This is 100% WRONG. The correct policy states “… third country or region“, where “third region” refers to Chinese regions outside of the mainland, and which (1) is currently governed by another political faction (TAIWAN), (2) was occupied (not “colonized”. No euphemism, please) by invaders for 99 years as a spoil of war after China outlawed and burnt drugs (opium) sold by said invaders to the Chinese in exchange for tea (Hong Kong), (3) was occupied by invaders who did not attempt any drugs-for-tea “trade” (Macau).

    This policy is issued by the Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs. They will never be so incompetent as to their own policy with regard to the status of Taiwan, Hong Kong and Macau. See policy statement on their embassy’s website.

  19. One of my employees was travelling last year (2017) ZRH-SIN-PVG-ZRH on one ticket issued by LX and with a 48h stop in Shanghai with booked accomodation. He had the itinerary as well as the TWOV rules printed – but was denied boarding in SIN by SQ staff. They were adament that only Singaporean citizens qualify for TWOV. Even the escalation to the supervisor did not help. We had to fly him back from SIN, paying for the ticket change …

    So we are always applying for visas now.

  20. @Sanne . An open jaw Europe – China -Europe is not transit as already explained above if you read the article Amsterdam – Beijing – Tokyo would be fine

  21. There are enough nerdy fat Americans in Beijing as it is without encouraging more. Not one of them looks presentable on the street…they all look like they have had their clothes thrown at them and haven’t seen a razor or deodorant since Biblical times.

  22. @Hoosier , sorry for your experience. I am not asking but maybe your ethnics cause some concern? You know Turkey is a very sensitive country in the past a few years since most of the jihadists pass though Turkey into Syria. There are quite some Chinese terrorists have been through this route back and forth. There are some sympathizers in Turkey to say the least. Some turkish diplomats even issued Turkish passports for Chinese terrorists in third country in the past. If your ethnics cause their concern, they may suspect you somehow get US passport and work as a messenger for terrorists groups inside China.

    In general, Chinese immigration officers are very lenient to foreign visitors and if they are this concerned, I feel there are some details we don’t know here.

  23. Very old news. This has been going on for a while. You can only do it if you do not have another visa currently active for China. Also, you have to stay in the city or region that you enter. You must provide printed proof of your outbound flight, and there tends to be long lines for the visa on arrival. I’m often in, out, and around China. I have also participated in articles regarding visa and matters pertaining to doing business in China so I can certainly send those articles to members whom it may benefit.

  24. Well, they stated this extension would be in by the end of the year – and made it, but just by the skin of their nose.

  25. How do they treat overnight domestic connections after a long haul such as LAX-CSX-PVG (and PVG-non USA). Any issues entering both CSX or PVG even though technically PVG is coming from a Chinese city?

  26. @Lu… Regarding my ethnicity, I’ll just say that I was born and raised in Indiana – and I look like I was born and raised in Indiana. Ditto my wife. My father’s a Lutheran minister. So, my ethnicity and religion likely wouldn’t have raised red flags, considering China’s concerns about the Uyghurs. As far as we could tell (and again, they gave us almost no information), they were simply alarmed by the fact that we had traveled in Turkey – even though we haven’t been back since 2015.

    @Alan… I was trying to say that if you’ve traveled in the Middle East, the officials in China might not let you into the country on a TWOV, as that’s what happened to my wife and I, neither of whom have any criminal record and who are born and raised US citizens.

  27. Have used “144-hour visa-free transit” for about a year into Shanghai. The form completed upon arrival also mentions Jiangsu & Zhejiang provinces. Maybe Beijing has a separate form. As mentioned, the biggest problem is getting your airline to understand the in/out details. For instance, one tkt was AA/LAX-NRT with JL/NRT-PVG and out AA/PVG-DFW — airline views this as a destination of PVG but China looks at NRT-PVG-DFW as meeting requirements to allow up to 6 days free transit. In my example, had AA check bag LAX-NRT, pick up bag in NRT and ck in NRT for JAL flight. AA therefore didn’t feel they were transporting me to China w/o a regular Visa. You should have itinerary printed in advance, preferably showing only the in & out flghts & dates. Have never been asked to verify Shanghai hotel reservation but you need complete details, including street address. JAL & Asiana seem to understand the details; AA & UA do not!

  28. I was thinking about doing the 72-hour transit visa for China, a year ago, but I had a week to play with, and was flying from the Philippines.

    I decided to go to Taiwan instead!

  29. I am a US citizen and will be flying from US to India, stay in India for 14 days, then from Mumbai to Beijing, stay in Beijing for 4 days then continue on from Beijing to Denver.

    Do I qualify for the 144 hr visa free transit?

  30. I am a Dutch national and will be visiting China & Hongkong in a couple of weeks. My plan is to stay the first five days in Beijing & Shanghai and then to visit Hong-Kong. I will stay for about 5 days in Hong-Kong & come back to China, stay in Shanghai/Beijing for another 5days and then continue on from Beijing to Amsterdam. I will not stay more than 6days in China on both occasions. Do I qualify for the 144 hr visa-free transit or should I apply for Chinese visa(dual entry)

    Thank you in advance.

  31. Believe you do NOT qualify. First, check your eligibility based on your Passport country. But believe you cannot leave the Shanghai area or leave the Beijing area, in other words you cannot travel between them, or stated another way, you cannot enter one area and leave from another. I’m not an expert – have only gone in/out of Shanghai on a US passport, always careful so that my incoming flight is from one country (say, Japan) was different from my outward destination (say, USA). But I have never traveled within China when using this ‘visa free’ method. Finally, US citizens are now given a 10-yr, multiple entry Visa for the same cost as a one-time Visa (only for tourists I believe). Hope this helps. Have a wonderful trip.

  32. How do they view multiple stops within China? For example, I’ll be flying from LAX-Hong Kong-Singapore-Tokyo-Shanghai-Beijing-Seoul-LAX Staying about 2-3 days at each stop – including the 2 China cities.. Am I eligible for the 144 hour one or would I need to fly from Shanghai to a 3rd country, then back to Beijing – thus getting 2 separate 72 hour ones?

  33. @ Scott – Multiple stops in China cannot be done on this type of visa. You will need a tourist visa. The visa on arrival is only for the city or general area depending on the situation. For example, if you arrive in Beijing, then you are required to stay in Beijing and depart from Beijing, but if you arrive in Shanghai, there is an allowance to some areas of the greater Shanghai region; however, this does not include Beijing! — It’s about 1,000 km between the two cities.

  34. @Scott – The reason that 2 separate 72 hour visas does not apply is because you are going direct from Shanghai to Beijing rather than on two separate international trips and the direction and regions of your journey matter, as well.

  35. @Iamhere – thanks for the info, that makes sense. Any suggestions for getting around it? Would a Tokyo-Beijing-Taipei-Shanghai-Seoul timeline make it work – with the Beijing-Taipei-Shanghai part just being flights to get around going from one Chinese city to another? Is there another city nearby that I might use for a throwaway trip (assuming that’s a viable option)? I don’t really want/need the Chinese visa – although if its easy to get then I guess I could. Thanks for your advice in advance.

  36. @Scott –

    In the schedule that you provided, it will not work. You have to go to a different destination in a different zone and in the same direction. For example, San Francisco –> Beijing –> Rome could work, but San Francisco –> Beijing –> Los Angles would not work.

    The reason that your schedule and “nearby” does not work is because you go in the same direction, but then come back and after you come back you do not maintain that direction. Taipei is also not in a different “zone” and Taipei would not likely get approval because of the “one China principal,” Beijing usually considers it part of China.

    The best suggestion I have is to get a tourist visa. That way you will be able to travel around without a problem. It is relatively cheaper as most Americans can get up to ten years, so you could enter multiple times. I’m unsure why you are reluctant to obtain a tourist visa, it would actually save you passport pages, in addition.

    Please let me know with specific questions or concerns.

  37. @Iamhere – thanks a ton for the info. I’m not really reluctant to get it – just seems the other way was easier if I could make it work. I’m happy I can put Shanghai back on the itinerary.
    Now regarding the tourist visa – I can read up on it (I know there are articles on this site and others). I’m taking my 14 yr old son as well – any differences between getting the tourist visa and a minor obtaining one?

  38. @Scott – The details for a tourist visa do depend on your visa history and your entry and exit history, as well as your nationality. For a tourist visa, the decision will be made by the officer at the consulate or embassy which you apply. Most Americans do qualify for a ten year multiple entry visa. There are also “exit terms” which define how long one can stay per visit. Usually this is 30 or 60 days. It is becoming less common for 90 days or more on a multiple entry visa. If you do not apply from your home jurisdiction, then you should check the local regulations for that place. Usually you have to prove a “long term” reason for being in that place such as permanent residence status, work visa for that place, etc. The word jurisdiction is important because in the US, for example, there are many jurisdictions. You would simply handle your son’s application with your own. Please let me know with specific questions or concerns.

  39. I am planning to travel from LAX to Bali Indonesia with a 3 day stop over in Beijing. However my flight from Beijing to Bali (booked separate from my LAX->PEK flight) has a layover in Kuala Lumpur. Would having a layover on my outbound flight make me ineligable for the 144 TWOV?

  40. I have a USA passport and would like to travel USA – 5 days in Hong Kong – 5 days in Beijing – back to USA. I’ve read that Hong Kong is a separate region? Will I qualify for the 144 hour visa exemption?

  41. @ Heather –
    Hong Kong is legally not China, so a different visa policy does apply. American can get a visa wavier, but the problem is that your travel is not from a separate region and your travel is not in the same direction. For example, if you flew San Francisco –> Beijing –> Rome, this would be in different regions and in continuous travel of the same direction, but for your use, you would require a tourist visa.

  42. @ All –

    I am really unsure why people seem reluctant to obtain a tourist visa for China. Most Americans do qualify for a ten year multiple entry visa, so this would be much more advantageous than a single entry visa on arrival.

  43. My family are considering visiting Beijing. Will this work for the 144 hrs transit: two one way tickets NRT-PEK(4 nights) PEK-ICN-KIX(ICN short layover)?

  44. @ John – It will not work because NRT and ICN are in the same region and when you fly out of Beijing you are not flying to a destination in the same direction as you entered and one that is in a different region.

  45. I fly occassionally to Hong Kong for work from Sydney. Last year i tagged a seperate ticketed trip to Shanghai and got the visa as i wasnt sure if i would qualify for TWOV as i was flying back to Hong Kong to catch the flight back to Sydney. I am planning a similar trip in a few months but to Beijing instead. I would want to fly to Beijing for the weekend and return to Hong Kong on the sunday to connect with my flight back to sydney that evening.
    Do i qualify for the TWOV if
    a) my flight back to Hong Kong and then onto Sydney are on seperate tickets (affiliated airlines Hong Kong air and Virgin Australia) but same day and i wouldnt leave the airport?
    b) I change my ticket so that the PKG-HKG-SYD are on the same ticket?
    c) I dont qualify at all as flying out of and back into HKG doesnt count as transit?
    Any help is greatly appreciated as couldnt get any answers on this last year at the Visa centre so just got the visa, but would prefer to save the time and money if i dont need one.
    Thanks in advance

  46. I am a US citizen and will be flying from US to India vis Beijing:

    Flying EWR-PEK-BOM in November with only stopover in Beijing.
    While flying back in December – BOM-PEK( 5 days)-EWR; I need 144 hour Free visa permit.

    Do I qualify for the 144 hr free visa transit permit?

  47. @ Kristy – If you are not leaving the airport and your international, HK, Macau, or Taiwan travel is within 24 then you would not need a visa for China because you are not leaving the airport. Let’s hope that there would not be an problems though because if so then getting approval to get into China with no visa is not an easy task.

    @ Bahartkumar – When you say a stop over, I assume that it is in the situation that I just mentioned. If you are not leaving the airport and will transfer within 24 hours then it is just a connection. With this said, you would qualify for your return trip but you will need proof of the continuing flight.

  48. Hello
    We are planning to travel from Sydney ->Shanghai -> Hong Kong
    Only wants to stay in Shanghai for 4 days and we are Australian citizen. Are we qualify for the 144 visa free permit? We are also travelling with a 1 year old baby.
    Thank you

  49. Hi. I have an airline ticket booked USA-Tokyo (5 nights) – Beijing (3 nights, 69 hours) – USA.

    The flights were all purchased on the same itinerary, on AA – except the Tokyo to Beijing flight is a Japan Airlines flight. I am a US citizen with a US passport.

    Two questions:
    First – I think I qualify for the 72 hour visa. I see a lot about China being the first stop, but in my case, China will be a stop on my destination home. Does the fact that my next/3rd country is my home country matter?

    Second – If I was originating from the US and first going to China, I would be less worried about being able to explain any concerns. But, I will be getting to China through Japan, where I don’t speak the language. Has anyone run into any problems here (flying out of HND to Beijing) or have they breezed through? I dont want to get stuck in Japan because I can’t talk to people! Thank you!

  50. U.S. citizen. visiting Japan and planning on going to Beijing. HND-PEK (stopover;5 days)-TPE destination (one way)?

  51. @ Pete –

    This is, of course, not allowed.
    1. TPE is Taipei, Taiwan, which is considered to be part of China.
    2. The flight leaving China is not to a different zone or jurisdiction and is not in the same direction of travel.

  52. @ Steph –

    No, you would not qualify because you would be going back in the same direction and to the same region as you started. If you were going on to Europe, for example, after your trip then you could qualify. It does not matter where China falls in your itinerary, but it does matter where you will go after. If you started in Europe, for example, it could also work, but I am not sure why starting in China would be less worrying because Japan is in the direction as the USA and is likely to be in the same region.

  53. Responding to: USA-Tokyo(5N)–Beijing(3N 69hrs)–USA… Have done basically the same itinerary on AA to Shangai (JAL Tokyo-Shangai with less than 3 hrs in Tokyo). Never tried this to Beijing. Don’t worry about language; all personnel you will run into speak English. It’s clear in your example that Japan is your destination (5N). At JAL ck in to continue your journey, since JAL knows the rules – you should have no problems. Your biggest problem is convincing AA ck in personnel at your USA departure city that you don’t need a regular China Visa. Twice at LAX as my departure point, it took over 2 hrs to get AA to issue boarding passes, even thou I showed them my Passport with stamps indicating I’d done this before; allow extra time. A general cmt: Don’t know any requirement to ‘continue in the same direction’ as seen in other postings. This has not been a problem for me as I’ve always gone & returned over the Pacific.

  54. Hi
    I just have a quick question regarding the 72 hr transit visa for GBR citizen. Does my flight have to be direct from UK to China to qualify? Or can I take a connecting flight say via AMS or CDG?
    I am looking at going to North Korea so my itinerary would be LHR-PEK-FNJ-PEK-LHR. Or with a connection it be would be LHR-CDG-PEK-FNJ-PEK-CDG-LHR.

  55. Will you please tell me if an itinerary of USA to Shanghai to Hong Kong to Beijing to USA will qualify?

  56. Hi
    Useful data.
    Here’s what we are planning Moscow-Beijing by air.
    Leave on the Trans Siberian Express Beijing-Moscow
    We both fall within the named countries, only staying in Beijing for less than 144 hours..
    Is this feasible

  57. Hi, I’m very confused about iamhere’s comments about directions and regions when answering the questions. As far as I understand, Chinese immigration considers Japan,SKorea,Taiwan, HK, etc as separate countries and all qualify as the “third country.” I don’t think it matters if these coumtries are all in the Asian region as long as it’s not the same as country A (Country A – China – Country B). So wouldn’t Heather and Pete’s itineraries qualify for the 144 TWOV?

  58. My husband and I are trying to plan out a trip from Boston to Bejing then Hong kong then back to Boston
    Would this qualify for the Visa free transit?

  59. Hi, we are Canadians flying direct from Taiwan to Beijing on a one way ticket and have another outbound to Canada . Do we qualify for the 144 hours visa free transit ?

  60. I am flying into PEK on Dec. 19th, and want to fly out on Dec. 24th for KUL. Would this work? Also, do I need to bring any special documentation or do anything online for this 144 hour transit visa?

  61. Should work assuming you’re flying into PEK not… repeat NOT from KUL, your outgoing next stop. Suggest printing out your air itinerary for just those 2 flights… XXX-PEK-KUL and have detailed info on your PEK hotel. You cannot go out of the PEK district (for example, you can’t visit PVG by train/plane). Don’t know any requirement to ‘continue in the same direction’ as seen in other postings. This has not been a problem for me as I’ve always gone & returned over the Pacific. Enjoy.

  62. Not all airlines will hand out a (yellow bordered) arrival card i.e. my recent experience with Air China (Chinas national airline, the worst experience ever) a week ago into Beijing Capitol Airport . You will need 2 filled-out arrival cards, the above and the blue bordered 144 hr. transit card. Both are available at the arrival counters. Submit these along with your hotel itinerary and outbound e-ticket at the TWOV desk.

  63. Hi, can I fly FRANKFURT-PEK-Auckland and stay 10 days in Auckland, then back from Auckland: AKL-Shanghai-FRA, taking advantage of the 144hr visa-free stay in Beijing on the way out and in Shanghai on the way back? It would be two tickets (FRAChina, ChinaAKL). Does AKL count as the final destination (for the first leg) and then FRA on the second leg?

  64. Trying to be extra careful and the Chinese consulate is not answering calls.
    We hold USA passports (American citizens). We are traveling San Francisco, California, USA to Tokyo, Japan and staying in Tokyo for a week. Then we are traveling Tokyo, Japan to Shanghai Pudong and staying for less than 144 hours. Then we travel from Pudong to San Francisco, California.
    We follow all the timing rules and zone rules (144 hours, staying in Pudong/Shanghai area hotels). However, do we follow the “3 country” rule? Do we qualify for the free transit visa? Leaving mid-June. Thanks for your help!

  65. I am US Citizen flying from San Francisco > Beijing > Tokyo. 3 nights stop in Beijing.

    Return flight Tokyo > Beijing > San Francisco via Vancouver.

    1. Do I qualify for 144 -hour free visa?
    2. Even though I have a stop in Canada on the way back?
    3. Can I take a 1-day group tour of Shanghai during my stay in Beijing?
    4. Can I take a 1-day group tour of Hong Kong during my stay in Beijing. Or is that considered a No-no since its classified as a different “country”?


  66. Reply to Mona: your outbound trip qualifies for the 144 arrival Visa in that you are arriving from one country (USA) and going on to a different country (Japan). You are in transit! Your problem will be getting your airline to know what you are doing is possible without a Visa in your passport so the airline can issue a boarding pass. US airlines are very worried that without a Visa in your passport they will be fined and will have to fly you back to US at their expense. If flying a US airline, you might check with them in advance (which I have never done!). Your return trip also qualifies for the arrival Visa in that you are arriving from one country (Japan) and going on to a different country (USA). You probably will not have a Visa question when checking in for the Japan-China flight cause (my experience) Japan-based ck-in reps (no matter whether a Japan or US airline) know how this works.
    Note: you cannot leave the Beijing ‘district’ while on the arrival Visa. You cannot go to Shanghai ’cause that is within China making it appear that China is your destination and not just a transit point. You may be able to go to HKG but I’m not experienced in that issue; you should check with China for details. There may be a requirement that you have to be out of the country (China) for more than a day in order to qualify for another arrival Visa. Happy trails.

Leave a Reply

If you'd like to participate in the discussion, please adhere to our commenting guidelines. Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *