While leisure travel is starting to make a rebound in the United States, most airlines are still going to have to do more to help elite members requalify. In late 2020 United Airlines announced how it would be easier to earn MileagePlus status in 2021, and today the airline has announced some further initiatives to reward members more.
United MileagePlus’ “Pick Your Path” promotion
United MileagePlus has today launched the “Pick Your Path” promotion, offering three different offers designed to provide elite members with value, whether they’re ready to travel now, or plan to travel in the future.
This promotion runs from April 29 through July 27, 2021, though members have to register and select their preferred option by May 13, 2021.
For context, here are United’s 2021 elite requirements, and keep in mind that elite members have already been awarded 25% of the adjusted PQP requirement for their status tier as a head start.
Let’s go over the three available promotions.
“Easy PQP” promotion
With the “Easy PQP” promotion, MileagePlus elite members can choose to receive a deposit of 10% of the PQP requirement without any flying needed. This means that:
- Premier Silver members will receive 350 bonus PQP
- Premier Gold members will receive 700 bonus PQP
- Premier Platinum member will receive 1,000 bonus PQP
- Premier 1K members will receive 1,500 bonus PQP
In other words, between the head start earlier this year and the additional boost, members would have be 35% of the way towards the adjusted elite requirements without any flying needed.
“Welcome back bonus PQP” promo
MileagePlus elite members who plan to fly in the next several weeks could earn up to 25% of the PQP required for their current status tier by booking three trips:
- Premier Silver members can earn 525 PQP for their first trip, 175 PQP for their second trip, and 175 PQP for their third trip
- Premier Gold members can earn 1,050 PQP for their first trip, 350 PQP for their second trip, and 350 PQP for their third trip
- Premier Platinum members can earn 1,500 PQP for their first trip, 500 PQP for their second trip, and 500 PQP for their third trip
- Premier 1K members can earn 2,250 PQP for their first trip, 750 PQP for their second trip, and 750 PQP for their third trip
A trip is defined as a unique itinerary that includes at least one PQP-eligible flight segment operated by United. In other words, you could book a roundtrip as two separate one-ways, and then that would qualify as two trips.
“2x miles on MileagePlus X app” promo
If you’re not planning any travel and if you don’t need help requalifying for status (or won’t even bother trying), members can alternatively earn double miles through the United MileagePlus X app. Members are capped at earning 10,000 bonus miles with this promotion.
This is definitely the weakest of the three offers.
It’s nice to see United MileagePlus introduce another initiative that makes it easier for elite members to requalify for status, in addition to what was announced in late 2020. At a minimum elite members can get a 10% PQP boost, or alternatively they can get up to a 25% boost if they take three trips in the coming weeks.
Among the “big three” US carriers, Delta SkyMiles has also announced a rather generous promotion, while American AAdvantage hasn’t, so here’s to hoping that American is next.
What do you make of United’s new MileagePlus promotion for elite members?