There are many aspects of the United Polaris soft product that impress me, including the bedding and pajamas. United offers pajamas to business class passengers on flights of over 12 hours, making them the only US airline to consistently do so:
- American only offers pajamas to business class passengers on flights to/from Auckland, Hong Kong, and Sydney
- Delta offered pajamas to select business class passengers for a while, but they’ve since discontinued them
United’s pajamas are actually quite decent, certainly among the best you’ll find out there in business class. Well, as noted by @BrianSumers, it looks like United is updating the pajamas they’ll offer in business class.
In addition to sharing pictures of the design change, United also notes that they’re changing the size of the pajamas. United has two sizes of pajamas:
- With United’s previous design they had:
- Small pajamas, which leaned towards “M”
- Large pajamas, which leaned towards “XL”
- With United’s new design they have:
- Small pajamas, which lean towards “S”
- Large pajamas, which lean towards “L”
I must be missing something, but what data is United going off of that’s causing them to think that their customer are losing weight?
I’d have to try the new pajamas to know how the quality compares. Call me a skeptic, but I imagine the only reason United would make this change is because it represents cost savings, though perhaps they’ll somehow spin this in a positive way.
United has made significant cutbacks to Polaris since introducing it a few years ago — I’d say at this point the bedding, pajamas, and amenities are above average, while the food and drinks are just average.
While I think the old pajamas look nicer than the new ones, who knows how the materials compare. Regardless, the fact that they’re shrinking the size of pajamas is… surprising.
If you are a frequent traveler in United Polaris, you may want to adjust the size of pajamas you order going forward.
What do you make of United’s new pajamas?