Yesterday seems like it was a fun day to fly to DC…
With Congress counting electoral votes today, a not-insignificant number of Trump supporters are traveling to DC to protest, in order to “Stop the Steal” (“stealing” nowadays is another word for “counting legally cast votes that aren’t convenient for the result you want”).
Before even having my first cup of coffee this morning, I’ve seen videos of three different incidents that occurred on flights yesterday evening, so I’m sure there are plenty more. What exactly happened?
Trump supporter kicked off flight for mask joke?
A Trump supporter was kicked off AA2198 from Charlotte to Washington yesterday evening. The narrative on conservative Twitter is that the Trump supporter was kicked off for making a joke about wearing masks.
But the video online, which is filmed once an American Airlines supervisor boards the plane (in other words, after the actual incident), tells a slightly different story:
- The lady being kicked off claims “I was making a joke with you” and says “I have a very dry sense of humor”
- The lady then starts yelling “this is America, this is America, this is supposed to be the United States of America, the Constitution says we’re supposed to be a free people, to do what we want to do”
- While the narrative is that she was being kicked off for making a joke, 76 seconds into the video you can hear her tell the supervisor “sir, I put the mask on”
- We don’t know exactly what happened, but it’s absolutely clear that at least part of the issue here was mask compliance, rather than a mask joke, and we know that airlines take a zero tolerance approach to mask compliance, for good reason
- Based on the context, I think the most likely explanation is that there were some issues with her mask compliance, and then when she was confronted about it by the crew, she made a joke, and they weren’t having it
Trump supporter just got kicked off my flight to Washington DC. #stopthesteal
She made a joke about wearing a mask so they kicked her off.
People on the plane begged the flight attendant to leave her alone@AmericanAir Flight 2198
— Terrence K. Williams (@w_terrence) January 6, 2021
A megaphone on a plane, really?!
Next up we have “a whole MAGA flight, full of patriots headed to DC.” Passengers can be seen singing “God Bless America,” and that includes a guy with a megaphone, who ends the song with “four more years.”
We have a whole MAGA flight, full of patriots headed to DC! Let’s get the party going! pic.twitter.com/YdNWWTRajZ
— Errol Webber (@ErrolWebber) January 5, 2021
Best I can tell, this is an American Airlines A321. Was this a charter flight? I assume not. But if it wasn’t a charter flight, how did the crew allow this guy to use a megaphone in an airplane cabin?
Passengers chant “traitor” on Romney flight
Senator Mitt Romney was flying back to DC yesterday, and passengers started chanting “traitor.” Because apparently they’ve “had enough of corrupt politicians.” And they want to know his connection to Joe Biden.
Mitt Romney had a fun ride. I bet he is considering the private jet from now on.
“They won’t be able to walk down the streets”!!
What’s the matter Mitt(Pierre)?
Traitor is being nice in this circumstance.
— ₴₮Ɇ₳Ⱡ₮Ⱨ₲ⱤØØØVɆ (@StealthGrooove) January 6, 2021
He was also confronted in the airport, maskless.
Another Romney airport confrontation video emerges. This one you can actually see the guy https://t.co/920S5lU4BN
— Daniel Chaitin (@danielchaitin7) January 6, 2021
There were at least three incidents that occurred on flights last night, as the MAGA folks head to DC to protest democracy.
One incident involves a passenger being kicked off — while the claim is that she was kicked off for making a joke, it’s clear that mask compliance also came into play, given what she says to the supervisor. Then you have a guy with a megaphone on a plane. And then you have people yelling “traitor” at Mitt Romney.