I don’t ever recall seeing a transfer bonus before for converting US credit card rewards points into Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer miles, but then again, these aren’t normal times.
KrisFlyer’s 15% credit card transfer bonus
The Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer program is offering a 15% bonus when you convert credit card rewards points into KrisFlyer miles:
- This is valid for credit card rewards converted into Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer miles by December 27, 2020
- In order to be eligible you need to convert enough points to earn at least 10,000 KrisFlyer miles in one transaction
- There’s no cap to how many bonus miles you can earn with this campaign
- Since the promotion is being offered directly by KrisFlyer, you won’t actually see the bonus reflected on the bank transfer page, but rather will only see it in your KrisFlyer account
- There’s no registration required
Should you transfer points to Singapore KrisFlyer?
There are two major things reasons to consider taking advantage of this promotion:
- Bonuses like this are rare; I don’t ever recall seeing a transfer bonus from a major US transferable points program to Singapore KrisFlyer
- Singapore Airlines primarily restricts premium cabin long haul award space to members of its own KrisFlyer program, so if you want to redeem for these products, this is your best bet
Singapore Airlines Lounge London Heathrow
That being said, there are also reasons not to take advantage of this promotion:
- Singapore’s borders are currently closed, Singapore Airlines is operating a skeleton network at the moment, and it’s anyone’s guess when the airline will increase operations
- Historically KrisFlyer miles expire 36 months after they’re earned, regardless of any qualifying activity (with the pandemic they could be extended, but it’s not a sure bet)
- The beauty of transferable points currencies is the flexibility that they give you, and you lose all that flexibility when you transfer them to one particular partner
Singapore Airlines’ A330 business class
Personally this promotion isn’t enough to tempt me, but I’m sure others will feel differently. The way I view it:
- If coronavirus weren’t a thing, I could see myself speculatively transferring some points to KrisFlyer with this bonus
- Under current circumstances I’d need closer to a 50% bonus to make any sort of a speculative transfer, personally
Singapore Airlines’ 777 first class
Right now you can earn a 15% bonus when you convert credit card rewards into Singapore KrisFlyer miles. While this opportunity is rare, I’m not sure it’s worth giving up the flexibility of transferable points for a 15% bonus. But that’s just my take, and others may feel differently.
Do you plan on taking advantage of this KrisFlyer transfer bonus?
(Tip of the hat to PinterPoin)