InterContinental has just launched a lucrative promotion if you either sign-up or renew an Ambassador membership.
What is InterContinental Ambassador?
IHG has a rather complicated rewards program structure. In addition to the IHG Rewards Club program that covers all of IHG’s brands, InterContinental has its own guest recognition program, called Ambassador.
Ambassador status costs either $200 or 40,000 points for a 12-month membership (I value IHG points at ~0.5 cents each, so to me it’s roughly breakeven as to whether you should pay cash or redeem points). It comes with the following perks every time you stay at an InterContinental:
- A guaranteed one category upgrade
- A $20 credit to use towards the hotel’s restaurant and bar
- 4PM late check-out
- Complimentary internet and mineral water
- Complimentary weekend night reward
- IHG Rewards Club Platinum Elite status
Ambassador members receive room upgrades
Get a free night when you join or renew
InterContinental has just launched a solid promotion for those who sign-up for or renew their Ambassador status. Specifically, those members can earn a free night certificate valid at any IHG property costing up to 40,000 points per night, though there will be some hoops to jump through:
- This is valid for enrollment or renewal between July 30 and November 15, 2020
- Complete one qualifying, paid stay at an InterContinental, Kimpton, or Regent, by January 31, 2021
- You’ll then be awarded a free night certificate valid at a property priced at 40,000 points per night or less, which can be redeemed for a stay through April 30, 2021; this is similar to the free night certificate offered on the IHG Premier Card
- The award night will be deposited into your account within 72 hours after check-out of your qualifying stay
- This award night is in addition to the weekend night reward that is included as an Ambassador member benefit
Receive a free night certificate valid at a property costing up to 40K points
Is this promotion worth it?
This is one of the better offers we’ve seen from InterContinental for an Ambassador enrollment or renewal. If you’re someone who stays at InterContinentals with any frequency and would have renewed or joined anyway, then this is a great offer.
I value the free night certificate offered with this at well over $100, so that knocks down the “real” cost of the membership significantly. I’d also argue that the value of Ambassador status increased recently, as you can now redeem the complimentary weekend night reward at Kimpton properties as well, on any night of the week. That alone could cover the cost of the membership fee.
Otherwise, though, this is a somewhat restrictive offer. You need to complete a stay in the coming months, and then your free night certificate is only valid a few months beyond that. The promotion could definitely make sense, but if you’re not someone who stays at InterContinentals with any frequency, then this might not be worth it.
Weekend night rewards can now be used at Kimptons
InterContinental is offering a free night certificate after one stay when you enroll or renew your Ambassador membership. This is a promotion that many InterContinental loyalists could find to be worthwhile.
For those who were on the fence about an Ambassador membership, this could be the offer they needed to get them to finally sign up.
Do you plan on taking advantage of this Ambassador enrollment offer?