In general Hyatt has made some significant improvements to its website and app in recent months (for example, I love being able to see when your room has been upgraded in the app). Earlier in the year Hyatt launched a pilot program intended to improve the booking process, and initially only select World of Hyatt accounts were eligible.
New World of Hyatt “Pay My Way” booking option
It would appear that Hyatt has now introduced the “Pay My Way” feature on a widespread basis for World of Hyatt members. The new “Pay My Way” feature allows World of Hyatt members to book their stays using multiple payment types in a single transaction.
In other words, in the past if you wanted to book a two night stay and pay with points for one night and pay with cash for the other night, you’d have to make two separate reservations. Now you can do this all in one reservation online, which previously could only be done by phone.
With the Pay My Way feature:
- Members can book a combination of cash, points, free night awards, or Points + Cash rates, on a single booking
- As far as paid rates go, this is currently limited to member rates and standard rates, while other pre-paid, negotiated, and package rates aren’t eligible (though this could change in the future)
Testing Hyatt’s “Pay My Way” functionality
I went ahead and searched a three night booking at the Grand Hyatt Tampa as I usually would. When I got to the rate selection page, both the member rate and standard rate showed a “Use Pay My Way” link underneath the “Book Now” button.
After clicking that, I was brought to a page with a really cool visual, giving me the option to select for each night whether I wanted to book with cash, points, Points + Cash, or with an award.
This feature is really easy to use, both in terms of being able to make a different selection every night, and also in terms of all your points and awards being displayed in one place.
It’s my understanding that using this feature wouldn’t have any implications for points earning. In other words, you’d still earn points and qualify for promotions in the same way you usually would, based on each individual night.
This feature is still of limited use for now
While “Pay My Way” is visually cool and easy to use, as someone who likes to maximize value, this is still of limited use as of now:
- If you want to include a paid night, currently only member and standard rates qualify, so you couldn’t book one of the lower rates, whether pre-paid, AAA, Hyatt Privé, or whatever else; I don’t remember the last time I didn’t book some sort of discounted rate, especially with Hyatt’s current flexible booking policy
- As of now suite upgrade awards, which Globalist members can earn through the Milestone Rewards program, can’t be used on these types of reservations; however, this is something that could be rolled out in the future
- The one circumstance where I could see myself using this for now is if I wanted to book a stay where I’m redeeming points for some nights and free night awards for others
Hyatt’s new “Pay My Way” feature is a great concept, as it allows guests to book multiple rate types on a single reservation. There are all kinds of circumstances where you may otherwise find yourself booking back-to-back stays, and having everything under one reservation sure makes it easier, for both the hotel and the guest.
While this was first rolled out as a pilot program earlier this year, it looks like it has now rolled out to all World of Hyatt members (or at least most World of Hyatt members).
Unfortunately for the time being I don’t see myself using this much, given the restrictions on which paid you can use in conjunction with this. If the functionality were improved just a bit further with paid rates, I could see myself using this all of the time.
What do you make of the new Hyatt “Pay My Way” feature, and could you see yourself using this?