Back in April, World of Hyatt announced it would be extending elite status by a year, as well as extending the expiration of quite a few benefits. Well, today World of Hyatt has revealed some more positive changes, including the extension of more benefits, as well as the further delay of some (potentially) negative changes.
In this post:
Suite & club upgrade awards will be extended
All unused Hyatt suite upgrade awards and club upgrade awards that were due to expire on February 28, 2021, will now be valid through December 31, 2021.
This has been a point of frustration for some World of Hyatt members, so it’s great to see this extended. Hyatt had previously extended suite and club upgrade awards, but only those expiring through December 31, 2020.
The catch is that these awards are typically valid through February of the following year (in this case February 2021), which is why they hadn’t already been extended.
World of Hyatt suite upgrade awards are being extended
Free night awards will be valid longer
All unused free night awards that were earned in 2020 with 2021 expiration dates will now be extended through December 31, 2021.
Peak and off-peak award pricing postponed
Initially World of Hyatt was supposed to introduce peak and off-peak award pricing as of March 2020. When the coronavirus pandemic started impacting travel, it was announced that this change would be pushed off until 2021.
Now World of Hyatt has announced that peak and off-peak pricing will only be introduced in July 2021, so that’s still a ways off.
I’d say this is good news, as in my opinion there’s more value to be had with a hotel loyalty program the less dynamic award pricing is. Here’s to hoping it’s pushed off even further. 😉
World of Hyatt is delaying the introduction of peak award pricing
Annual hotel category changes will be limited
Historically Hyatt has made significant annual adjustments to hotel categories around March of each year. Hyatt has announced that changes will be minimal for 2021.
12 hotels will be decreasing in price while four will be increasing in price. It gets even better than that — for those hotels decreasing in price, the changes will apply starting in a few weeks.
The following hotels will be moving down in category and requiring fewer points as of October 29, 2020:
- Stonebridge Inn, A Destination Hotel from category 5 to 4
- Wailea Grand Champions Villas, A Destination Residence from category 6 to 5
- Wailea Ekolu Village, A Destination Residence from category 6 to 5
- Wailea Ekahi Village, A Destination Residence from category 6 to 5
- Lichenhearth, A Destination Residence from category 6 to 5
- Parker New York from category 6 to 5
- Grand Hyatt Vail from category 7 to 6
- Mauna Lani Point, A Destination Residence from category 7 to 6
- Wailea Elua Village, A Destination Residence from category 8 to 7
- Kaanapali Alii, A Destination Residence from category 8 to 7
- Vail Residences at Cascade Village, A Destination Residence from category 8 to 7
- The Lodge at Spruce Peak, A Destination Hotel from category 8 to 7
Then the following hotels will be moving up in category and requiring more points as of mid-March 2021:
- Hyatt Regency John Wayne Airport from category 2 to 3
- Hyatt House Nashville/Downtown-SoBro from category 4 to 5
- Mar Monte Hotel part of The Unbound Collection by Hyatt from category 4 to 5
- Park Hyatt Aviara from category 5 to 6
The Park Hyatt Aviara is increasing in category
Points won’t expire through June 30, 2021
Like many loyalty programs, World of Hyatt has extended the expiration of points. Previously Hyatt had suspended points expiration through December 31, 2020, while that has now been extended by a further six months, through June 30, 2021.
Historically Hyatt’s policy has been that points are forfeited after 24 months of account inactivity.
World of Hyatt has announced some additional positive changes, including an extension to suite and club awards, a delay to peak and off-peak award pricing, and very limited award category changes.
Personally I’m particularly excited to see extensions to suite upgrade awards, as I haven’t used any of my four for this year.
What do you make of these latest World of Hyatt changes?