As a Hyatt Globalist I’m really excited about this, because the card will make it significantly easier for me to requalify for status for years to come.
The perks that make this card worth holding onto
Just for having the card you receive:
- Discoverist status for as long as you have the card
- Five elite qualifying nights towards status every year
- An anniversary free night certificate annually valid at a Category 1-4 property
Those benefits alone more than justify the annual fee, though what has really impressed me is the perks that Chase and Hyatt have added to make it worthwhile to spend money on the card, as you receive:
- An additional two elite qualifying nights for every $5,000 spent on the card
- An additional anniversary free night certificate when you spend $15,000 on the card in a cardmember year
At a minimum I think it’s worth spending $15,000 on the card per year. Then you’d receive a total of 11 elite nights towards status annually (the five you get just for having the card, plus the six for spending $15,000), and you’d also receive a second anniversary free night certificate.
Those two anniversary free night certificates are also elite qualifying when you use them, so that potentially gets you up to 13 elite nights right there.
My strategy for spending on the card
We’re less than a month from 2019, so I’m being quite deliberate in how I put spend on the card. While I don’t think I’d do so otherwise, I’m making sure I spend less than $5,000 on the card in the remainder of the year.
Why? Because I’ve already requalified for Globalist status for 2018, so I want to make sure that I complete my first $5,000 of spend in 2019, rather than 2018.
Then when I concentrate on putting spend on the card in early 2019, I’ll receive:
- The five elite nights for 2019 just for having the card
- Two additional elite nights for spending $5,000 on the card
- Two additional elite nights for spending $10,000 on the card
- Two additional elite nights for spending $15,000 on the card
- An additional anniversary free night certificate for spending $15,000 on the card
So yeah, I think that’s my strategy for now. I’ll try to put $15,000 of spend on the card every year, and if I find myself in a situation where I think I won’t requalify for Globalist, I might put even more spend on the card.
For those of you who have The World of Hyatt Credit Card, what’s your strategy with putting spend on the card?