Historically World of Hyatt hasn’t displayed room upgrades through their website or app. In other words:
- If you use a Globalist Suite Upgrade to confirm a suite at the time of booking, that upgraded room doesn’t actually show up online
- If a hotel upgrades you in advance (as many hotels do if you have status), that upgraded room isn’t actually reflected online
This is in contrast to Hilton, IHG, and Marriott, all of which show room upgrades online.
Well, it looks like Hyatt has updated their systems in this regard, and hopefully it’s a permanent change. World of Hyatt’s app now seems to show when a hotel has upgraded your room type.
When I visited the World of Hyatt app yesterday regarding a reservation for the same day, I noticed a message saying:
“Your room has been upgraded! Mobile check-in is now available for your upcoming stay.”
Not only that, but when I clicked on the “Stay Details” section, the reservation showed the room type I was actually blocked in (because I used a Globalist Suite Upgrade), rather than the type of room I booked.
An upcoming reservation also shows an upgraded room type.
I believe this is new, as I don’t recall seeing this before, but it’s also possible it has been live for a little while and I just didn’t notice it?
I’m happy to see that Hyatt seems to have finally added this functionality. It’s always nice to know what to expect for an upcoming stay, and hopefully this update is consistently applied across properties.
For all the hotel groups that seem to show upgrades in advance, I would note that:
- If you’re not using a confirmed suite upgrade, sometimes you may be shown as being blocked in a certain room, but then when you arrive you might not get an upgrade that’s quite as good; there are a variety of factors that can cause inventory to change
- Some hotels seem to somehow provisionally upgrade people in advance without actually updating the system that members can see, so there may be situations where you’re upgraded in advance but it’s not reflected online
Hyatt has also told me that they’re currently piloting a new digital check-in experience at 34 Hyatt properties, including hotels such as the Grand Hyatt San Francisco, Andaz New York, Hyatt Regency Chicago, Grand Hyatt Baha Mar, Andaz Shanghai, and more. This is currently available at hyatt.com, and will soon be available through the World of Hyatt mobile app.
This pilot features:
- Transparency of room upgrades (based on tier/preferences – high floor, etc.)
- Globalists are entitled to an upgraded room including standard suites based on availability at check-in at participating locations; this feature allows them to check-in day of arrival and see their upgrade without having to be at the front desk
- Confidence in using mobile entry available at 324 properties (91,891 rooms)
- Flexibility to select the room best suited for their needs
Have you noticed this new Hyatt app functionality that seems to show room upgrades?