Not only do credit card issuers often have lucrative welcome bonuses when applying for cards, but sometimes there are also lucrative bonuses for adding authorized users, especially on Amex cards. I’ve just been targeted for such an offer, and taking advantage of it seems like a no-brainer.
Amex Business Platinum 20K authorized user bonus
This morning I was paying some Amex bills online, and noticed a special offer on The Business Platinum Card® from American Express (review). The following message was listed at the top of the account summary page:
Earn 100,000 Membership Rewards points. Add up to 5 new Employee Cards and earn 20,000 points after each new Employee Card Member spends $4,000 in eligible purchases on the new Card in their first 6 months of Card Membership, up to 100,000 points. Terms apply.
Presumably this offer is targeted, though here’s the link the page goes to, so you can check for yourself if your account might be eligible. The terms state that authorized user cards have to be approved by December 31, 2021, in order to earn the bonus.
Keep in mind there are several options for adding authorized users on the Amex Business Platinum:
- Adding authorized users with full Amex Business Platinum perks costs $300 each (Rates & Fees)
- However, you can also add Amex Business Gold authorized users for $45 each (Rates & Fees), or you can add Amex Business Green authorized users for no additional annual fee (Rates & Fees).
- Any type of authorized user seems to qualify for this offer, so you could add a no annual fee Amex Business Green card
This is a pretty awesome deal!
If eligible, taking advantage of this seems like a no-brainer:
- Spending $4,000 would earn you a minimum of 24,000 Amex points (20,000 bonus points, plus one point per dollar spent); I value Amex points at 1.7 cents each, so to me that’s like an ~11% return on spending
- Since authorized users are being added to a business card, this shouldn’t in any way impact their 5/24 status, if that’s something that matters
- Note that while you don’t need the date of birth or social security numbers of authorized users at the time you request a card, you do need to provide it within 60 days of having added them
Even beyond credit card bonus categories having improved so much in recent years, it’s amazing how many additional bonuses there are on spending, as I feel like I’m constantly spending towards them, from the Hilton Amex free night award promo, to the Marriott Amex PayPal promo.
It’s always worth checking your credit card accounts to see what targeted offers you’re eligible for, especially with Amex. I’m seeing an offer on my Amex Business Platinum for 20,000 bonus Amex points when adding an authorized user and having them spend $4,000 within six months. This is an excellent bonus, and one I look forward to using, assuming I’m not missing anything.
Were you targeted for this offer, or any other Amex authorized user offer? Would you take advantage of this offer?
The following links will direct you to the rates and fees for mentioned American Express Cards. These include: The Business Platinum® Card from American Express (Rates & Fees).
I just contacted AmEx for the 5th time today about the 20K bonus points I was supposed to receive for adding an AU to my account. I received an email (which I showed them), a mail flyer and it was listed in my benefits in my online account. The AU just needed to spend $2k in 6 months. She did it the first month. AmEx says there's no offer associated with my account. It's like...
I just contacted AmEx for the 5th time today about the 20K bonus points I was supposed to receive for adding an AU to my account. I received an email (which I showed them), a mail flyer and it was listed in my benefits in my online account. The AU just needed to spend $2k in 6 months. She did it the first month. AmEx says there's no offer associated with my account. It's like a giant scam! I've seen a lot of posts about this now. So, be aware you might not get what's promised to you!
I called AMEX about another matter with my personal Platinum card and at the end of the call the agent advised me that I had an Offer that was NOT showing in my Amex Offers. It was for 20K MR pts for adding an authorized user [after 2K spend]. Again, this was NOT showing in my Offers list, so maybe worth a call...
Will this impact the users 5/24?
Timely advice! We have a personal and business Amex Platinum with both up for renewal. It makes more sense for us to keep the business card and add 2 authorized users and drop the personal card. Thanks for the heads up.
Amex Gold 10k points for authorized user after $2k in spend.