This year TAP Air Portugal is celebrating its 75th anniversary, and as part of that we’re seeing more promotions through its frequent flyer program, Miles&Go. TAP’s goal is to expand its membership base, especially outside of Portugal.
TAP Air Portugal has just introduced a great new status match promotion, which might be of interest to many.
TAP Air Portugal status match promotion
TAP Miles&Go has introduced a status match campaign, making it easy for members to earn either Silver or Gold status, which corresponds to Star Alliance Silver and Star Alliance Gold status.
This promotion is available to both new Miles&Go members, as well as those who have signed up for the program in 2020:
- If you’re a new member you must register and attach a copy of your frequent flyer card for the program you wish to match from; the copy must include a complete image of the card and include the cardholder’s name, the card number, the expiry date, and the status
- If you have been a member since January 1, 2020, just send a complete copy of your frequent flyer card to [email protected]
You’ll then need to complete one of the following two challenges to receive your status within 10 days of of being notified that your application has been validated:
- Sign-up for Club TAP Miles & Go, which starts at $122 per year
- Purchase TAP Miles&Go miles, which can potentially be done at an even lower cost
Which programs are eligible for the TAP status match?
You can match status from most non-Star Alliance programs. You can find a full list of programs that TAP will match from here, along with corresponding status you’d receive with TAP.
How long is TAP status valid for?
Your status match will be approved within 15 days of completing all eligibility requirements, and then the status will be valid for a minimum of 12 months. You’ll even be able to extend it beyond that with reduced requirements, as follows:
- Maintain Silver status with 10,000 status miles and two flights on TAP Air Portugal
- Maintain Gold status with 25,000 status miles and four flights on TAP Air Portugal
TAP Air Portugal elite benefits
If you decide to match to TAP Air Portugal status, what kind of benefits should you expect?
TAP Air Portugal Silver status offers:
- 25% bonus miles
- Priority check-in, security, and boarding
- Free seat reservations
- Lounge access when traveling on international TAP flights
- Star Alliance Silver status
TAP Air Portugal Gold status offers:
- 50% bonus miles
- Lounge access whenever traveling same day on a Star Alliance flight (even on domestic flights within the US you receive lounge access
- The ability to nominate a companion to Gold status (however, this time around this isn’t available to those who have matched)
- Free Economy Xtra seat assignment
- Increased checked baggage allowance
- Star Alliance Gold status
The benefits here could potentially be valuable, especially with Star Alliance Gold status, which even gets you extra baggage and lounge access when flying other Star Alliance airlines.
TAP Air Portugal’s new status match promotion is one of the best we’ve seen in a long time. Your status will be valid for at least 12 months, and while you do need to make a small purchase, there’s otherwise no flying requirement.
The only flying requirement is if you want to extend your status beyond a year, in which case you can requalify based on reduced criteria.
This is an easy path to Star Alliance Gold status, which can get you lounge access on all Star Alliance itineraries, even domestic ones within the US.
Is anyone taking advantage of this new TAP Air Portugal status match promotion?