This month TAP Air Portugal is celebrating their 75th anniversary, and they’re also celebrating just over a year since they rebranded their frequent flyer program, which is now known as Miles & Go.
The program has 280,000 members based in the US, and today they’ve announced a series of initiatives intended to grow membership in the US, including some pretty awesome opportunities.
This comes as TAP has hugely expanded their presence in North America in the past few years — in 2015 they operated just 16 weekly flights to North America, while by the summer of 2020 they’ll operate an incredible 82 weekly flights.
TAP Air Portugal is offering bonus miles just for enrolling, status match opportunities, discounts on purchased miles, and more.
Earn 1,000 miles for enrolling in TAP Miles & Go
TAP is offering 1,000 bonus miles when you enroll in the program during the month of March using promotion code BIRTHDAY01. There’s no actual activity required to earn those miles, but rather you just have to join the program.
Existing members can earn 1,000 bonus miles for each member they refer, up to five invites.
TAP Miles & Go status match
TAP Miles & Go has introduced a status match opportunity, allowing US members to earn either Silver or Gold status, which also correlates to Star Alliance Silver and Star Alliance Gold status.
In order to qualify, members need to either:
There are some basic things to be aware of:
- You can match the status of a non-Star Alliance airline
- You must provide a digital copy of your membership card with your application, including your name, status, and eligible validity; you can apply when you join the loyalty program
- Your status will be confirmed by April 20, 2020
With this status match you are given status for up to six months, through September 30, 2020. Then to renew status beyond that you need to:
- Earn 10,000 status miles to maintain Silver (it ordinarily requires 30,000 status miles per year)
- Earn 25,000 status miles to maintain Gold (it ordinarily requires 75,000 status miles per year)
Here are the statuses that TAP Air Portugal is matching:
What are the benefits of TAP Air Portugal elite status?
If you decide to match to TAP Air Portugal status, what kind of benefits should you expect?
TAP Air Portugal Silver status offers:
- 25% bonus miles
- Priority check-in, security, and boarding
- Free seat reservations
- Lounge access when traveling on international TAP flights
- Star Alliance Silver status
TAP Air Portugal Gold status offers:
- 50% bonus miles
- Lounge access whenever traveling same day on a Star Alliance flight (even on domestic flights within the US you receive lounge access
- The ability to nominate a companion to Gold status, which is also valid if you’re matched
- Free Economy Xtra seat assignment
- Increased checked baggage allowance
- Star Alliance Gold status
The benefits here could potentially be valuable, especially with Star Alliance Gold status, which even gets you extra baggage and lounge access when flying other Star Alliance airlines.
Buy TAP Miles & Go miles at a discount
For the month of March, TAP is offering big bonuses when you buy miles, up to 5x. For example, you can buy 100,000 miles for $870, which is just 0.87 cents per mile. This has the potential to be worth it, though I’ll save the overall value proposition of redeeming Miles & Go miles for a separate post.
Triple miles with Club Miles & Go
From March 9-31, 2020, Club TAP Miles & Go is offering triple miles that will be instantly credited to your Miles & Go account.
For those not familiar with Club TAP Miles & Go, this is a subscription service that allows you to earn miles every month, and even to earn some benefits. You can find all the benefits of that here.
For example, you could join “Club Platinum” for $887, and over the course of 12 months you would earn 108,000 miles, along with some other benefits.
This is a really robust and well thought out promotion on the part of TAP Air Portugal. Very rarely do we see airlines try to promote frequent flyer programs in this exciting of a way, so it’s great to see this from TAP.
New members can earn miles just for signing up, status matches are readily available, and there are opportunities to buy miles at a discount, either as a one time purchase, or as part of a club membership.
Is anyone taking advantage of these awesome TAP promotions?