Last June SriLankan Airlines announced they would be joining the OneWorld alliance, with hopes of finalizing the arrangements by late 2013. While that target date won’t happen, unfortunately, it has now officially been announced that SriLankan Airlines intends to join OneWorld by April 2014. So we at least have a more specific target date now.
I’m quite excited about SriLankan joining OneWorld. Admittedly, their limited longhaul operations won’t be a game changer, but regionally they have quite a strong route network.
I was originally enthused about SriLankan because I figured they’d be one of the only ways to get to the Maldives on OneWorld miles, though in the meantime options for those hoping to redeem miles to the Maldives have expanded dramatically.
- You can redeem American AAdvantage miles for travel on Etihad, which flies to the Maldives from Abu Dhabi.
- Qatar Airways is formally a OneWorld member airline now, and they fly to the Maldives twice daily via Doha.
- Malaysia Airlines joined OneWorld earlier this year, with service from Kuala Lumpur.
- Cathay Pacific recently launched new service to the Maldives from Hong Kong.
- British Airways flies there now not only from London, but also from Colombo.
Still, SriLankan will be a nice addition, and the new routes this opens up for OneWorld flyers goes well beyond flights to/from Sri Lanka. I love their fifth freedom routes from Bangkok to Beijing, Guangzhou, Hong Kong, and Shanghai.
SriLankan even has what looks to be a really nice, updated, business class product. Their website is so bad they don’t even make reference to it online, but the refreshed product is now available on many of their longhaul flights:
I last flew SriLankan several years ago, and this was their “new” business class product:
And it’s worth noting that even with the older product I’ve always enjoyed SriLankan’s food and service.
I’m definitely looking forward to SriLankan’s membership in OneWorld, and hope they begin a reciprocal mileage agreement with other OneWorld partners prior to the official join date.
(Tip of the hat to DestinationDavid)