I hope that this guy gets the help he needs, but he most definitely shouldn’t be flying planes.
Pilot overshares during post-flight PA
Video footage has emerged on Reddit of a pilot sharing his Christian testimony over the PA on an American Airlines flight. A few things to note upfront:
- This happened on an American Airlines flight in June 2021 (I’m not sure why the video has only surfaced now)
- It’s reported that this wasn’t actually one of the pilots flying the plane, but rather it was a pilot who was commuting or deadheading (meaning they were flying as a passenger); he may work for an American Airlines regional subsidiary
- This seemed to happen upon landing, so it’s not entirely clear how he managed to grab the PA and prevent people from getting off the plane, and how the crew working the flight allowed this to go on for so long (I’m guessing they were just in shock)
In the nearly 3min30sec video, the guy can be heard talking about how (and I’m largely using his words here):
- He was raped and molested as a young boy, and that he prayed to God to take away his sins and thoughts that resulted in homosexual tendencies
- His life spiraled out of control, and he became a sexual addict and turned to pornography
- He thought sexual thoughts about both men and women and started messing around with others who had similar tendencies
- He started thinking of ways to end his life so that he wouldn’t hurt anyone else
- He married a woman but couldn’t tell her about his pain and struggle with homosexuality
- Over a year into the marriage be gave into the pressure of being gay, and he asked other gay crew members questions about their lifestyle and what led them to become gay
- He then started taking part in that lifestyle, and would have sex with men and come home from work trips as if nothing happened
- He wants to share the love of Christ with passengers, and if people feel uncomfortable that’s fine, but he said he’d be in the gate area for people who want to talk
I’m certainly no expert in Christianity, though I must have missed the “love of Christ” part of this?
You can watch the video here for yourself:
I hope this guy gets the help he needs
Obviously this guy has been through a lot, and is really struggling. It’s extremely sad to hear both his story, and how he’s thinking about things. I really hope he gets the help he needs. And perhaps part of that is accepting that it’s okay to be gay, and that being gay isn’t a “lifestyle” you can pray yourself out of, and his fellow colleagues weren’t “led” to being gay, they were just born that way.
Sad as the situation is, this guy also clearly isn’t fit to be in charge of so many peoples’ lives. Thinking that a plane is the correct venue for sharing this kind of stuff shows such a horrible lack of decent judgment, and decent judgment is supposed to be something that pilots have, given the responsibility they have.
Furthermore, beyond the mental concerns here, this was beyond unprofessional. No one should be subjected to having to hear this, how homosexuality is a choice, etc.
Video footage has emerged of a pilot sharing his Christian testimony shortly after an American Airlines plane landed at its destination. While he allegedly wasn’t one of the pilots flying the plane, it’s still disturbing that someone who does fly airliners would be in this kind of a mental state.
I hope that this guy gets the help he needs, because clearly he’s struggling…
(Tip of the hat to Live and Let’s Fly)