Chase & IHG recently refreshed their credit card portfolio, and as part of that they introduced the new IHG® Rewards Premier Business Credit Card. Not only that, but IHG’s loyalty program overall has been improved, making IHG credit cards even more rewarding. It’s exciting to see an IHG business credit card launched, and in this post I wanted to cover all of the basics of the card.
IHG Premier Business Card basics
The IHG Premier Business Card is largely modeled after the IHG® Rewards Premier Credit Card (review). I’d consider that to be good news, given the card’s reasonable annual fee and strong perks. Let’s cover everything you need to know about the card, and whether it makes sense to pick it up.
IHG Business Card welcome bonus
The IHG Premier Business Card is offering a welcome bonus of 140,000 IHG points after spending $3,000 within the first three months. Personally I value IHG points at 0.5 cents each, so I’d value that bonus at $700, which I consider to be excellent.
IHG Business Card annual fee
The IHG Premier Business Card has a $99 annual fee, which is quite reasonable. There’s no additional cost to add authorized users to the card.
IHG Business Card spending bonuses
For a co-branded travel credit card, the IHG Premier Business Card has a pretty lucrative rewards structure. The card offers the following, all with no foreign transaction fees:
- 10x points on IHG spending
- 5x points on travel and hotels
- 5x points on gas stations
- 5x points on dining
- 5x points on social media and search engine advertising, and office supply stores
- 3x points on all other purchases
In addition to the points you earn, there are some additional threshold bonuses for spending, which could incentivize making big purchases with the card. These benefits include the following:
- If you spend $20,000 plus make one additional purchase in a calendar year you’ll receive a $100 statement credit plus 10,000 bonus points
- If you spend $40,000 on the card in a calendar year you can earn IHG Diamond Elite status, which offers lots of valuable perks, like complimentary breakfast, room upgrades (including suites), 100% bonus points, access to the Milestone Rewards program, and much more
- If you spend $60,000 on the card in a calendar year you can earn a second anniversary free night award
For an IHG loyalist, an argument could certainly be made for spending money on the card.
IHG Business Card rewards & perks
The IHG Premier Business Card offers a variety of valuable perks, including the following:
- A free night certificate every anniversary year just for being a cardmember; this can be used at a property costing up to 40,000 points per night, though you can also use points to supplement the certificate and redeem at a more expensive property
- IHG Platinum Elite status for as long as you’re a cardmember, offering perks like room upgrades, 60% bonus points, priority late check-out, and more
- A fourth night free on award redemptions, which is a great way to stretch your points further
- Up to $50 in United TravelBank Cash each calendar year; you receive a $25 TravelBank Cash deposit roughly every six months
- A Global Entry, TSA PreCheck, or NEXUS credit once every four years
Is the IHG Premier Business Card worth it?
I’m impressed by the new IHG Premier Business Card, and plan to pick up the card myself. This card is mighty similar to the IHG Rewards Premier Card, and I’d consider that to be a good thing, since you can have both cards.
On the most basic level, if you already have the personal version of the card, then it’s worth picking up the business version of the card so you can receive an extra annual free night certificate. Most cardholders surely find the card to be worth holding onto for that reason alone. That’s also more valuable than ever before, since you can now top-off these certificates with points, meaning you can redeem for any IHG property that’s bookable with points.
Admittedly if you have both the personal and business version of the card then there’s quite a bit of overlap, as both cards offer IHG Platinum Elite status, a fourth night free on award redemptions, and more.
The IHG Premier Business Card has launched with a fantastic bonus of up to 140,000 points. The new product is very similar to the personal version of the card, the IHG Rewards Premier Card, and I’d consider that to be a good thing.
I think the card is worth holding onto for the anniversary free night award alone, and everything else is just the icing on the cake. Given the bonus categories and spending threshold bonuses, I could also potentially see it being worthwhile to spend money on this card, especially given that IHG Diamond Elite status is now competitive with what’s being offered by other programs.
What do you make of the new IHG Premier Business Card?