We knew this was coming, but we’re now seeing the first pictures of Kuwait Airways‘ new business class.
In this post:
Kuwait Airways is a quirky airline
Kuwait Airways is investing billions of dollars to modernize its fleet, which is long overdue. At this point Kuwait Airways’ average fleet age is under five years old, which is significantly lower than it used to be:
- Within the past few years the airline has taken delivery of 10 Boeing 777-300ERs, its new flagship aircraft
- In the past five years Kuwait Airways has taken delivery of five A330-200s
- The airline has taken delivery of three A320neos, with a further 12 on order
- The airline has just started taking delivery of its first of eight A330-800neos, and the airline is the launch customer for this plane
While this new fleet is great, some of Kuwait Airways’ passenger experience decisions have surprised me. For example, Kuwait Airways took delivery of 10 777s between 2016 and 2017. Not only are these new planes, but they’ll be used for key routes, like Kuwait to London, New York, Paris, etc.
Kuwait Airways 777-300ER
Despite that, the airline decided to install Collins Aerospace Diamond seats on these planes, which sure aren’t impressive for the kinds of journeys they’ll be operating.
Kuwait Airways business class 777-300ER
Kuwait Airways also has fairly new A330-200s, and on these planes the airline installed reverse herringbone seats in first class, and angled seats in business class. Really?
Kuwait Airways first class A330-200
Kuwait Airways business class A330-200
Kuwait Airways’ A330-800neo business class
Kuwait Airways has just started taking delivery of its A330-800neos, as the airline is the launch customer for this plane.
Kuwait Airways A330-800neo
We already knew in advance that Kuwait Airways would install Collins Aerospace Super Diamond seats on these planes, but we now have the first look into the cabin. Here’s a video Kuwait Airways posted of the interior of the new plane:
And below is a screen grab of the business class seat.
Kuwait Airways business class A330-800neo
It’s fantastic to see Kuwait Airways finally elevating its business class:
- Kuwait Airways’ A330-800neo business class is now better than its A330-200 first class
- Kuwait Airways’ A330-800neo business class is significantly better than its 777-300ER business class, even though the latter is used in the most premium markets
The Collins Aerospace Super Diamond seat is popular with airlines, as dozens of other airlines offer this seat as well.
Collins Aerospace Super Diamond seats on Royal Air Maroc
Collins Aerospace Super Diamond seats on Air Canada
Kuwait Airways also has five A350-900s on order. I would guess they’ll probably also get these seats, but only time will tell.
It’s great to see Kuwait Airways finally introduce a business class product with direct aisle access from every seat. It’s just strange to me that the airline waited so long to do this, rather than installing a proper business class seat on its flagship 777, which operates the longest and most premium routes.
Here’s to hoping the same seats are installed on the upcoming A350s.
What do you make of Kuwait Airways’ new business class?