IHG has just opened registration for their Priceless Surprises promotion, which is being offered in conjunction with Mastercard.
To be eligible for the promotion you have to:
- Register and stay between November 15, 2015, and February 15, 2016
- Use your Mastercard for the stay (it can be any Mastercard, and doesn’t have to be the IHG co-branded one)
- You’ll receive 1,000 bonus points after your first stay
- You’ll receive a chance at a “Priceless Surprise” for every subsequent stay
- This promotion can be combined with IHG’s Accelerate promotion, which runs through December 31, 2015
What are the prizes, and what are your chances of winning?
Okay, so you earn 1,000 bonus points after your first stay, but what are your odds of winning another prize for a subsequent stay? Fortunately IHG publishes all the details in the terms. Here are the “big” prizes available (see the full terms for a detailed description of what each prize entails):
- 2016 Paris Tennis Tournament Package / ARV: $23,407.22 / Quantity: 3
- Winter in New York City Priceless Surprise / ARV: $22,016.50 / Quantity: 2
- Priceless New York / ARV: $19,300 / Quantity: 2
- Arnold Palmer Invitational Presented by Mastercard Honorary Observer Priceless Surprise / ARV: $19,826 / Quantity: 3
- Gilt gift card / ARV: $2,500 / Quantity: 10
- 1 Million IHG Rewards Club Points / ARV: $5,000 / Quantity: 2
- BoseSound Touch120 home theater system / ARV: $1,099 / Quantity: 3
- Adventure Package / ARV: $1,050 / Quantity: 2
- Sony Package / ARV: $799 / Quantity: 3
- BoseWave SoundTouch music system IV / ARV: $600 / Quantity: 4
- Free Night Stay at IHG Property / ARV: $125 / Quantity: 525
- A $50 Mastercard Prepaid Card / ARV: $50 / Quantity: 1,050
Beyond the above larger prizes, you can also win smaller quantities of IHG Rewards Club points. Rather than there being a set number of grand prizes (whereby your chances of winning vary based on how many total entries there are), there are published odds for winning points, as follows:
- 5,000 IHG points / Odds: 1:42.86
- 2,000 IHG points / Odds: 1:28.57
- 1,000 IHG points / Odds: 1:14.29
- 500 IHG points / Odds: 1:1.18
Don’t quote me on this as I’m writing this in a very jetlagged state, but if my math is correct, the above odds should almost guarantee that you’ll win some quantity of points with each entry.
You don’t have to stay at hotels to enter
Deals We Like wrote about this yesterday, and it’s interesting, if nothing else. If you look at the terms of the promotion, you don’t actually have to stay at IHG properties to participate in the promotion. Instead there’s a mail in alternative:
From November 15, 2015 to February 15, 2016: You can enter the Instant Win Game without completing a Qualifying Stay. However to be eligible for the chance to win prizes in section 9 below you are required to have an IHG Rewards Club account. If you do not have one, you can sign up for free by visiting http://www.ihg.com/rewardsclub/us/en/home and following the instructions. To enter without completing the minimum two Qualifying Stays, hand print your full name, complete mailing address, day and evening phone numbers, valid email address, member number, the first six (6) digits of your Mastercard and date of birth on a 3″ x 5″ piece of paper and mail it in an envelope with proper postage to “IHG and Mastercard® Priceless Surprises® Promotion,” c/o HelloWorld, Inc., P.O. Box 5996, Kalamazoo, MI 49003-5996. Once your mail-in request is received, you will receive an email within five (5) business days from the Administrator inviting you to play the Game and you will receive one (1) Game play for each mail-in request. Limit: One (1) request per envelope. Once you receive an email inviting you to participate in the Game, click on the link found within the email and follow the links and instructions to play the Game. The Game results will be instantly displayed. Potential winners of the Game will be provided directions for validation. All potential winners are subject to verification before any prize will be awarded. Administrator is responsible for the functionality of the Instant Win Game.
Limit: Each entrant is eligible to receive up to ninety-four (94) Game plays during the Promotion Period, regardless of method of entry.
So if you have a lot of time, love IHG Rewards Club points, and in general like playing “games” like this, you could in theory write out 94 entry cards and mail them in to IHG. You’ll pay ~$47 in postage, plus however much the paper costs, plus the time investment, but in theory you could win a decent number of points.
Ultimately this promotion isn’t a reason to switch any business to IHG, though it is a nice add-on to the Accelerate promotion, which runs through the end of the year. If you have upcoming stays at IHG properties there’s no reason not to register.
And the concept of mailing in entry cards sure is intriguing. I’d be curious if any of the math whizzes around here can crunch the numbers as to the average number of points you’d win mailing in 94 cards, based on the above publishedodds.
So, who is intrigued at the thought of spending their weekend writing out 94 letter to IHG to see how many points it nets them? 😉