Earlier I wrote about how InterContinental is offering a free night when you enroll in the ($200 per year) Ambassador program and complete two stays. Well, IHG Rewards Club is offering a pretty awesome promotion for new members as well, which is worth being aware of.
New IHG Rewards Club members can earn a free night
Those who join the IHG Rewards Club program can earn a free night valid at a property costing up to 40,000 points after completing two stays.
Here’s how the promotion works:
- This is valid for US-based members who enroll between July 30 and September 30, 2020
- Members must complete two qualifying stays in the United States before January 31, 2021, to receive a free night
- A qualifying stay is one booked directly with IHG at a rate of at least $30 per night, so award stays wouldn’t qualify
- The free night will be deposited within two to four weeks of qualifying stays, and can be used for a stay through April 30, 2021
- The free night will be valid at a property costing up to 40,000 points per night, excluding IHG Army Hotels, Six Senses, and Mr. and Mrs. Smith properties; this is similar to the free night certificate offered on the IHG Premier Card
If you do enroll in this offer from IHG, make sure you also register for the IHG promotion offering up to 4x points on stays through September 8, 2020.
This enrollment offer is similar to how new Marriott Bonvoy members can earn a free night after completing two stays.
Stack this with the InterContinental Ambassador offer
There are pros and cons to the IHG Rewards Club promotion vs. the InterContinental Ambassador promotion:
- There’s no cost to join IHG Rewards Club, while there’s a $200 fee to join the Ambassador program
- The IHG Rewards Club promotion is US-specific, while the Ambassador promotion isn’t
- The Ambassador promotion requires one stay, while the IHG Rewards Club promotion requires two stays
If you’re trying to decide between these two promotions, there’s some good news — best I can tell, the IHG Rewards Club new member bonus can be stacked with the bonus for those who join the Ambassador program. That means a stay at an InterContinental in the US could also count towards the IHG Rewards Club new member bonus.
IHG Rewards Club is offering new US-based members a free night after completing two stays. This is potentially an excellent offer, especially when you consider that it can be combined with IHG’s current global promotion.
Does anyone who is not yet an IHG Rewards Club member plan to take advantage of this?