Hilton Honors has been doing a great job throughout the pandemic with engaging members. In December 2020, Hilton Honors rolled out its latest such initiative, allowing members to gift status to a friend or family member.
This is a reminder that this is your last chance to take advantage of this opportunity. I also wanted to share how eligible members who weren’t emailed about this promotion can still take advantage of it.
Hilton Diamond members can gift status
Hilton Honors is extending a one-time opportunity for all current Hilton Honors Diamond members to gift status to someone else, regardless of their stay activity in 2020:
- Lifetime Diamond members can gift Hilton Honors Diamond status
- Other Diamond members can gift Hilton Honors Gold status
While the ability for Hilton Honors Diamond members to gift status is nothing new, in the past it has required staying a certain number of elite nights. Ordinarily:
- Diamond members can gift someone else Gold status if they earn 60 elite nights in a year
- Diamond members can gift someone else Diamond status if they stay 100 elite nights in a year
Here are the basic things to be aware of with this promotion:
- Members are able to gift status to a friend or family member for one year
- If you earn 60 or 100 elite nights in a year then you’re still able to gift status through that; this is incremental
- You must nominate someone for status by January 31, 2021
Hilton Honors Diamond members can gift status to others
How do you gift Hilton Honors status?
Hilton Honors Diamond members were supposed to receive an email about this offer with everything that’s needed. A specific code is required to gift status to someone else, and then you have to go to one of the following links to actually gift status:
- Link to gift Hilton Honors Diamond status (for lifetime Diamond members)
- Link to gift Hilton Honors Gold status (for other Diamond members)
The strange thing is that while all eligible members should have received codes, it doesn’t seem that actually happened. I’m not sure why, exactly, but fortunately there’s a workaround.
If you didn’t get an email with a unique code, send an email to [email protected], with both your Hilton Honors number and name, and the Hilton Honors number and name of the person you’d like to nominate. In theory you’ll be sent back a code for the upgrade, and hopefully this can be completed before the deadline.
Yes, this even applies to credit card status
If you’re like me and earn Hilton Honors status simply by having the Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card (review), then you’re still eligible for this. I love that the card gives you Diamond status just for having it, and now I can make someone else’s travels over the next year better as well.
The truth is that Hilton makes it fairly easy to earn elite status anyway. Hilton offers status through a variety of credit cards, and in particular it’s quite easy to earn Hilton Honors Gold status just for having credit cards. Still, I’ll take it!
Hilton Honors Gold & Diamond members receive a breakfast benefit
Hilton Honors is letting Diamond members give a friend or family status. That’s a nice offer, and also a smart marketing technique — travel will obviously be down over the next year, and someone else newly having status with the Honors program may encourage them to choose Hilton over a competitor.