Back in April 2021, Marriott and Uber launched a pretty useful partnership, giving Marriott Bonvoy members the ability to earn points for purchases with Uber. In this post I wanted to recap how this partnership works, as it’s always worth keeping in mind.
How the Marriott & Uber partnership works
Thanks to the partnership between Marriott Bonvoy and Uber, Marriott Bonvoy members can earn points when ordering food delivery with Uber Eats and requesting select Uber rides.
This partnership is only available in the United States, and you must link your Marriott Bonvoy and Uber accounts in the Uber app to start automatically earning points on all eligible transactions.
While Marriott Bonvoy and Uber only launched this partnership in 2021, it’s worth noting that back in the day Starwood Preferred Guest had a partnership with Uber, which was the first of its kind. Unfortunately that partnership ended long before the merger between Marriott and Starwood happened.
How many Marriott Bonvoy points can you earn with Uber?
With the Marriott Bonvoy and Uber partnership, you can earn 2-6x Bonvoy points per dollar spent with Uber, depending on the type of transaction (for context, I value Bonvoy points at 0.7 cents each):
- Earn 6x Bonvoy points per dollar spent on Uber Eats deliveries to hotels operating under the Marriott brand with a minimum $25 basket; I value that at an incremental 4.2% return
- Earn 2x Bonvoy points per dollar spent on non-hotel deliveries and food pick-ups with a minimum $25 basket; I value that at an incremental 1.4% return
- Earn 3x Bonvoy points on Uber XL, Comfort, and Black rides; I value that at an incremental 2.1% return
There’s no limit to how many points you can earn through this partnership, and the eligible spending amount will be calculated after any promotions and discounts are applied, and won’t include taxes, fees, and tips. Anecdotally points from this partnership post within days of making an eligible purchase with Uber.
How do you link your Marriott Bonvoy & Uber accounts?
In order to start earning points with the Marriott Bonvoy and Uber partnership, you need to first link your accounts. How do you do that? To link your Marriott Bonvoy and Uber accounts, log into the Uber app:
- Tap the menu on the top left corner
- Then click “Settings”
- Scroll down to tap “Marriott Bonvoy” under the rewards section
- Tap “Link Account”
- Then log into your Marriott Bonvoy account
My take on the Marriott & Uber partnership
I’ve been taking advantage of the Marriott Bonvoy and Uber partnership since it launched, and have earned quite a few points from it. Here’s my strategy for ridesharing and food delivery:
- I generally use Lyft over Uber for ridesharing; that’s because the Chase Sapphire Reserve offers 10x Ultimate Rewards points on Lyft rides, which I value at a 17% return, and that usually shifts the math in favor of Lyft
- I earn Hilton Honors points for my Lyft rides, thanks to a partnership between the two brands
- I generally use Uber Eats for food delivery, and I can also use the Uber credits issued with the Amex Platinum Card this way; I earn quite a few Marriott Bonvoy points this way
I also generally find it pretty telling how the most lucrative aspect of this partnership is the ability to earn Marriott Bonvoy points for Uber Eats deliveries to Marriott properties, rather than rewarding ridesharing to Marriott hotels.
In the past, this would have been considered competition to room service, but with many hotels clearly not planning on resuming full service even post-pandemic, I guess Marriott thinks this is a good way to condition people to start ordering food from outside hotels.
Marriott Bonvoy and Uber have a great partnership, giving Bonvoy members the ability to earn points for both rideshare and food delivery spending with Uber. You can earn 2-6x Bonvoy points, which I value at a ~1.4-4.2% return.
If you haven’t yet registered for this collaboration, make sure you do so, as you’re leaving points on the table otherwise.
What do you make of the Marriott Bonvoy & Uber partnership?