The Citi Premier® Card is one of my favorite mid-range credit cards. Several weeks ago we saw a new best-ever offer launched on the card for a limited time. I wanted to post a reminder of that, because this deal really is that good, and I can’t imagine it will be around much longer (I don’t have any inside info, but it’s an incredible deal, it’s limited time, and it has been around for a while now, so…).
With a recent development, there’s even more reason to pick up this card. If you don’t yet have the Citi Premier Card and are eligible, you absolutely should apply.
Earn 80,000 ThankYou points with the Citi Premier
The $95 annual fee Citi Premier Card is offering a welcome bonus of 80,000 ThankYou points after spending $4,000 within the first three months. This is the best bonus we’ve seen on the card — previously we’ve seen a bonus of 60,000 points, and prior to that, the card offered a bonus of 50,000 points.
Citi ThankYou points can either be redeemed for one cent each towards a variety of travel purchases or gift cards, or can be transferred to Citi ThankYou airline and hotel partners. In other words, 80,000 points can get you at least $800 worth of travel or gift cards, or 80,000 airline miles (for a limited time these points can even be transfered to American AAdvantage).
Citi’s general application rules apply, and on top of that the welcome bonus isn’t available if you’ve:
- Received a new cardmember bonus on the Citi Rewards+, Citi ThankYou Preferred, Citi Premier, or Citi Prestige, in the past 24 months
- Closed the Citi Rewards+, Citi ThankYou Preferred, Citi Premier, or Citi Prestige, in the past 24 months
So it’s fine if you have one of those cards, you just can’t have received a bonus or closed one of the above cards in that period. Learn more about Citi’s 24-month rule.
Why the Citi Premier Card is worth having
- The Citi Premier has the most well rounded bonus categories of any mid-range card, as it offers 3x ThankYou points on airfare, dining, gas, groceries, and hotels
- Having the Citi Premier Card allows you to maximize the value you get from the no annual fee Citi® Double Cash Card (review), which is the single best card for everyday, non-bonused spending; this card can earn you up to 2x ThankYou points per dollar spent on everyday purchases
- The Citi Premier offers a $100 hotel credit every calendar year, valid on a single hotel stay of $500 or more that’s booked through the Citi ThankYou portal; for some this alone will more than justify the annual fee
Transfer Citi points to American AAdvantage
The timing of this couldn’t be better, because for a limited time (through November 13, 2021), rewards earned on the Citi Premier Card can be converted into American AAdvantage miles. In other words, the 80,000 ThankYou points you earn as part of the welcome bonus could earn you 80,000 American AAdvantage miles.
This opens up some awesome premium cabin redemptions. 80,000 AAdvantage miles is more than enough miles for a one-way business class ticket from the United States to Africa, Asia, or Europe, on airlines like Cathay Pacific, Japan Airlines, Qatar Airways, etc. Best of all, there are no fuel surcharges on these tickets.
For a limited time, the Citi Premier Card is offering a best-ever welcome bonus of 80,000 ThankYou points upon completing minimum spending. This is an exceptional bonus for a rewarding card with a reasonable annual fee.
Getting this card has become even more compelling, as rewards on the card can be converted into American AAdvantage miles for a limited time. If you don’t yet have the Citi Premier Card and are eligible, I’d highly recommend applying with this offer. The offer won’t be around forever, and could be pulled at any time.
Anyone plan on picking up the Citi Premier Card with this awesome bonus?